Incubation Help

Mohawkandmaggie

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 9, 2012
So I just recently purchased a Harris farms 22 egg capacity auto incubator, it says to have the humidity on 50% and it had the temp preset at 99.5, I have Serama eggs and OEGB eggs in there currently. It seems to be working great and the only eggs I have lost are ones that were infertile to begin with. Usually with my good ole styrofoam incubator the banty eggs would be hatching by day 18 even some at day 16 because they are so small, I kept the temp in that incubator at 100.5, I am wondering if it is because the temp was a little higher that they were hatching a little faster but I am concerned because I have a few that are on day 19 and they don't look like they have completely filled up the egg space like usual on day 18.

Yes, they'll hatch sooner if the temp is a little higher. That said, developing and hatching too soon can lead to defects in the chicks. Also, to be hatching on days 16-18, your old incubator's thermometer might read a little lower than actual.

Your new incubator's thermometer should be compared to or supplemented with a calibrated thermometer.

Yes, they'll hatch sooner if the temp is a little higher. That said, developing and hatching too soon can lead to defects in the chicks. Also, to be hatching on days 16-18, your old incubator's thermometer might read a little lower than actual.

Your new incubator's thermometer should be compared to or supplemented with a calibrated thermometer.
Yes the new incubator I have put a few different types of thermometers in it to monitor the temp and so far the factory setting is superb for being so accurate. These eggs I have right now are moving and healthy, I've only candled today just because I was worried but I usually don't touch when they start hatching but they just seem like they are definitely not on day 19

Most hatching egg are not consistent, that's why the time of hatch are averages. Due to the individual egg and it's development.

Give it 21 days, that's the average. And don't mess with the eggs and incubator too much.

In my experience, on day 18 or 19 they will turn themselves into position to hatch, then will rest there until the CO2 builds up enough to make them start to pip. So you're not as likely to see any movement in the egg, until they start their internal pip.

Yes the new incubator I have put a few different types of thermometers in it to monitor the temp and so far the factory setting is superb for being so accurate. These eggs I have right now are moving and healthy, I've only candled today just because I was worried but I usually don't touch when they start hatching but they just seem like they are definitely not on day 19
Congrats! Sounds like the new incubator has a more accurate thermometer than your old one, hence the eggs being more "on time" than running early.

Back
Top Bottom