Incubation of 41 eggs only 1 hatched..what went wrong?

Mommaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
On day 23 and still only 1 hatch. Others seems to have died except one silkie. Should I intervene? Temp consistent most of the time during incubation, problem with humidity at the end for hatch, yet if one hatched and it was ok, why didn't the others make it when I knew they were alive at lockdown. I had to open the incubator to add more water as humidity wasn't correct which created a wet paper towel at the floor. I did remove and replaced with a dry paper towel. Was I wrong to help? This is my first hatch. What should I do with the one remaining live chick in the egg? I'm afraid it will die like the rest as I mentioned I am on day 23..Thanks

On day 23 and still only 1 hatch. Others seems to have died except one silkie. Should I intervene? Temp consistent most of the time during incubation, problem with humidity at the end for hatch, yet if one hatched and it was ok, why didn't the others make it when I knew they were alive at lockdown. I had to open the incubator to add more water as humidity wasn't correct which created a wet paper towel at the floor. I did remove and replaced with a dry paper towel. Was I wrong to help? This is my first hatch. What should I do with the one remaining live chick in the egg? I'm afraid it will die like the rest as I mentioned I am on day 23..Thanks
Let's start with some basic questions. Have you ever checked your thermometer/hygrometer for accuracy (even if it is brand new)? What kind of incubator are you using? Is it still air or forced air? What temps were you incubating at? What were your humidity levels during the first 17 days (average) and what were they for lockdown?

There are may things that can cause chicks to get to lockdown and not hatch out, one of the top ones being humidity. Temps during incubation are also a BIG factor. If it was lower than it should be (if your thermometers have not been checked and are off) they could be delayed developmentally and die before the hatch. The above wuestions may shed some light as to some POSSIBILITIES. Eggtopsies will help you further determine what compromised the hatch.

As for the one that you say is alive in the egg. Has it externally pipped?

Back
Top Bottom