incubation time?

PetMomSuzanne

Chirping
May 6, 2016
I've had some eggs in the incubator (first time). On day 20, one hatched, and a following one the following day. Today is day 22. No sign of life on any of the others, no pipping, chirping etc. The two that hatched I've put under a heat lamp, they were very happy to see food and water. I discarded one egg that definitely "sloshed", but how long should I leave the others in?

As long as they don't leak or stink, leave them in a couple more days. Longer if you don't know exactly when incubation started.
Since one hatched a day early, it is likely your temperature was a couple degrees high throughout. Next time, drop the set point by one degree to start.

As long as they don't leak or stink, leave them in a couple more days. Longer if you don't know exactly when incubation started.
Since one hatched a day early, it is likely your temperature was a couple degrees high throughout. Next time, drop the set point by one degree to start.
Thanks! It's pretty much what I thought. My incubator was a pain in the neck, had to wrap bubble insulation around it and leave a towel over the top to keep the temperature up

I agree.

Have you calibrated your thermometers using ice water? They are not always accurate at purchase. I do not know what your setup is, but if you are not already, using two or more thermometers would give some insurance against faults that may occur.

Last edited:
I agree.

Have you calibrated your thermometers using ice water? They are not always accurate at purchase. I do not know what your setup is, but if you are not already, using two or more thermometers would give some insurance against faults that may occur.
Thanks for the response. I think we just ended up with a lemon incubator. Considering I had to wrap it in bubble insulation and keep a towel over the top to get it to come up to temp according to the thermometer. Oh, well, live and learn

Thanks for the response. I think we just ended up with a lemon incubator. Considering I had to wrap it in bubble insulation and keep a towel over the top to get it to come up to temp according to the thermometer. Oh, well, live and learn
That is unfortunate. I would still check the thermometers because it is an easy thing to do and faulty temperature measurement is one of the most common reasons for hatch failure. If you would like to try again with another incubator, I recommend a home-made version built out of a cooler. There are many articles here on BYC that detail the process of making one. They are cheap and reliable. I regularly get 100% hatches using the models I have built. There are several good brands of pre-made incubators, but they will all set you back on a significant chunk of cash, and unless you are hatching frequently, it may not be worth it.

One potential problem with covering it and wrapping with plastic is that you cut off the oxygen supply, potentially suffocating the embryos and filling the incubator with carbon dioxide.

That is unfortunate. I would still check the thermometers because it is an easy thing to do and faulty temperature measurement is one of the most common reasons for hatch failure. If you would like to try again with another incubator, I recommend a home-made version built out of a cooler. There are many articles here on BYC that detail the process of making one. They are cheap and reliable. I regularly get 100% hatches using the models I have built. There are several good brands of pre-made incubators, but they will all set you back on a significant chunk of cash, and unless you are hatching frequently, it may not be worth it.

Interesting, but we may take one more try with this one with another thermometer. Alternately, a friend's daughter got a new incubator and has had several batches with a 100% hatch rate, they said they'd do a batch of our eggs for us if we wanted. Thanks for the idea though!

Interesting, but we may take one more try with this one with another thermometer. Alternately, a friend's daughter got a new incubator and has had several batches with a 100% hatch rate, they said they'd do a batch of our eggs for us if we wanted. Thanks for the idea though!
That is good to hear. I hope you end up with the chicks that you want.

Back
Top Bottom