Incubation

I have 2 of those small foam Little Giant incubators. I had terrible luck with them. None of my birds got splayed leg like that but, I had very poor hatch %. Only 13 hatched out of 42 eggs and only 6 survived past the first day after hatch. That was my only attempt with the foam incubator before building my own.

Back to the subject, I would strongly advise adding a towel of some sort when the eggs are in lockdown. A normal Bounty paper towel isn't very good. Better to use those blue mechanics paper towels. Much stronger and absorb more moisture. That will give your babies a good grip to gain leg strength to prevent that.

I use scotch tape and tape the legs in so they can not go outward. Keeps the legs upright and they hobble along. This will work 90% of the time, they will were it for about a week and by then they are strong enough to break the tape free. Here is the method I used, but with scotch tape:

http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-blog-025/

By the way I have hatched alot of quail in the last two years. 1. Get an incubator with an automatic egg turner 2. Keep the humidity at 55% for the whole hatch, that is a good median %, or you can do 45% until removed from the egg turner and then bump it up to 60%. 3. Don't bother candling them, don't mess with them. Once you get a good hatch it will be pretty clear what to do and what not to do. I was in the same boat as you were about 3 years ago learning this stuff with cheap incubators. I hope that helps some! Good luck on the next batch, I am sure it will be much better.

For splayed legs (both chicken and quail) I have used a straw and hair band and it has worked well.
For the bottom of the incubator, I don't like paper towels as they do block some of the water from evaporating and reduces the humidity. In my incubators I pour the water at the bottom and then I put a plastic net which provides best grip for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom