incubator an turkey egg qs

wynedot55

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
i have some questions.my turkey hens are laying eggs.how long can i save the turkey eggs before i have to fire up the bator.ive got 3 hens.an get from 1 or 2 eggs a day.so how long can i save eggs before i need to fire the bator up.its a little giant bator.

Eggs can keep for a few weeks but the longer they are kept the lower the hatch rate will be. I usually store eggs for up to two weeks and have a high hatch rate. Keep the eggs in a place where it is room temperature or a little lower. Do not put them in the fridge. I store mine in the pantry because its a little cooler than the rest of the house. Make sure your incubator runs for a couple of days to make sure the temp is regulating properly. Good luck!

ok thanks im not putting them in the fridge at all.an was thinking bout firing the bator up in 2wks.ill let it run 2 days to make sure its holding the temp.

Store them sitting at about a 45 degree angle in a carton, pointed end down, and turn at least once per day. I try not to save for any more than a week, but I've gone nearly two and not had any problems.

A wild turkey will take up to 14 days to set her clutch. I'd say 2 weeks is fine for home collected eggs if stored properly. Agree with turning the eggs daily...that helps. It's easiest to put them in a egg carton (large end up) and place a wooden block under one end and switch it to the other end once a day to keep the eggs tilting back and forth until you're ready to set them. The day before you put them in the incubator, bring them to room temperature to eliminate the chance of sweating and bacteria building up.

Jody

the eggs that i want to put in the bator are still in the turkeys nest.an im watching them close.dont want her to change laying spots on me right now.so im gambing that vermitts wont hitt nest before i move them.

Back
Top Bottom