Incubator and equipement questions

Ok. I wish there was a super docile strain of quail. That would be nice, but I guess that will work, thank you.

I guess that's pretty much all the questions I have. Now I just have to wait for the silly government people to make up their minds. Wooooo

Tink, I hope the city/county/state regulation where you reside doesn't set a legal precedence for other city/county/states in the US to apply a restriction for Coturnix. There is a legal restriction for Bobwhites and other native species of quail as some raise them to release for organized hunts. Like Don, I couldn't understand why there would be a regulation on raising Coturnix.
James

Well, I don't know why they are regulated, but they are. Honestly it's good news for me that the state considers them game birds because the city bans all "domesticated fowl and poultry" so if the state government considered them domestic like a normal person would I couldn't have them I don't understand it, but I'm going to roll with it. I just wish the permit to sell/give away eggs wasn't so expensive. The possession permit is free but the other is several hundred dollars

Ok developments have been made!

I officially got my permit. Yay! My hovabator also came in on Wednesday, and I just barely finished putting it all together. I've found someone to buy hatching eggs or chicks from. I contacted him today and we are supposed to pick up our eggs on Saturday. Is that a good idea? I mean I just barely got the bator set up, am I risking the eggs by putting them in a bator that hasn't had much time to normalize?

Also I'm worried about the temperature swinging in the incubator. I was planning on putting some ceramic tiles or water bottles inside to help keep he temperature steady, but there really isn't much room because of the egg turner. Any suggestions?

The drive for me to pick up the eggs is going to be like 7-9 hours. I will be handling them myself so I'm hoping for a better hatch rate than most people seem to be getting out of shipped eggs. There will only be like 25 eggs available for me to pick up on Saturday, will that be enough for me to successfully hatch a few hens and a rooster? How can I improve my odds of keeping the eggs as viable as possible on the trip up here?

Back
Top Bottom