Incubator got TOO hot on day 7

Farm Girl83

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Kansas
It's my first time incubating and everything had been going great, but I had my nieces stay the night with me last night, and we candled the eggs. Several were moving around wonderfully!. I'm not sure how the temperature got messed with, but I woke up this morning to look in on the eggs and the temperature in the incubator was was 110!!!!! I candled them again after turning the temperature back down and none of them are moving! I'm so upset I think they've all died! Is there any hope? I'd bet that the temp was high for probably 8 hours! These were purebred blue and splash naked necks that I paid a fortune for, I'm so sick! Are they all gone?

Most likely. That temperature would cook the eggs in a few hours. If you suspect it was longer than 5 hours, they are likely gone.

You have a choice, start over and redeem the time, or let them run another 10-12 days and see if, by chance, something survived. Likely though, it would be lost time. It really come down to whether you want to spend the time and how you wish to spend it.

Well, I just candled the eggs, which are now at 10 days, and did have several survivors, so there is hope! I did have 17 eggs in the incubator, and I have lost 9, a couple are questionable, but I have 4 that are definately alive. I'm just so happy that I had survivors!

what brand was your incubator? I know some people say they experienced temp spikes which in their bators which unfortunately, caused losses with the eggs :( Im sorry about the catastrophe with your temp! I hope your 4 viable eggs hatch.
fl.gif

I have a basic little giant 9020 with the circulated air fan that I purchased separately. I will say that I was trying to save money, and wishing that I would have spent the money and purchased a higher quality. I believe that the incubator itself is fine, but the thermostat is VERY touchy, and it doesn't hold a specific temperature very well. I have the incubator in an inside back bedroom with 1 window that was just replaced last fall, and the temp in my house is always set at 72. The temp in the incubator fluctuates non-stop usually between 98.2-100.5 without ever touching the thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom