Incubator Issues

greenthebean

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked around for a similar thread but couldn't find too much info.

My partner bought an "HHD" incubator from a local feed store. We were able to hatch our first batch of silkies with no problems. About a month later the incubator was cleaned out and set up for use again. But now the temperature won't stay above 90f. The only time it will go to 100f is when humidity is really low, which is not good. When we restore the humidity, the temp drops again. I'm thinking it could be a bad wafer, but I don't know too much about incubators. Replaced the power cord as well.

I looked up this HHD brand and I noticed they don't manufacture their own products, because I found the same exact incubator with different brand stickers stamps on Amazon. For reference, this is the one we bought and this is the one that's the same but under a different brand. I'm going to attempt to reach out to HHD and see if they can help, or maybe take it back to the feed store. In the meantime, any ideas what could be causing the temp to drop and be stuck?

It could be faulty. But just in case do you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer to verify temperatures and humidity? I wouldn’t rely solely on the built in ones.

I think we might have a thermometer in the garage, and I will see about getting a hygrometer. Will update, thanks so much!

Hello,
Please use caution with HHD incubators...
I purchased an HHD 36 egg mini incubator and just hatched out my first batch of baby chicks. The 2 fans in the incubator are covered with white plastic slats. It is best practice to keep chicks in the incubator until they are dry before moving them to the brooder. 2 of my baby chicks put their beaks easily into the fan (the slats are way too far apart to keep the little babies safe). THE FANS CHOPPED THE ENDS OF THEIR BEAKS OFF!!!!! The little injured chicks bled all over the incubator and I had to remove all the chicks right after they were born and blow their little wet bodies dry by hand with a hair dryer, as the humidity was far too high.

Back
Top Bottom