Incubator not reaching right temperature

Feltonistas

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask something since it's the first time that I try a dry hatching. I have 6 silkie eggs in the Janoel 12 incubator and I'm trying to dry hatch for the first time. My humidity is about 30% but the problem is that my inside thermometer shows a lower temperature that the incubator one. Is it possibile that the reason for that is the low humidity? What can I do? I'm afraid the problem could be the hygrometer/thermometer but I am not sure. Thanks

I have never used this specific incubator but it is possible either the thermometer you have inside the incubator or the incubator's thermostat is a little off. You will want to calibrate them to know. My thermostat on my homemade incubator is about .4 degrees off from the thermometer I have inside. Luckily my thermostat has a calibration function but you have to keep that in mind. Getting a good thermometer/hygrometer that you can trust is worth it in the long run. The low temperature won't affect the low humidity. The humidity is determined by how the surface area of the water troughs you have filled in the incubator.

Yes my incubator can be calibrated so I'll try that, because I'm pretty sure that my other thermometer is functioning well, so I'll try calibrating my incubator. Thank you very much

You're welcome. Just make sure the thermometer you are calibrating to is accurate. The reality is a couple of degrees of error is not going to be horrible, but we try to be as precise as possible and at least be consistent so if you have an early or late hatch you know that it was because the temp was too high or too low. Hatching is a LOT of trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom