Incubator Temperature

indigo flats

Chirping
Jan 29, 2017
Elgin South Carolina
Observing the temperature of my incubator I come to the conclusion that it holds an averaged ambient temperature of 99.5 degrees F. Now as the eggs heat up to the 99.5 F. and they are mass do they hold this temperature as the ambient temperature fluctuates from high to low settings to accomplish the average temperature? The fluctuation is .75 F above and below 99.5 F. should I have any worries about this?

Last edited:
A lot of people use this thing called a water wiggler to determine what the average internal egg temperature is. It's like a tube of water roughly the size of an egg that is Hollow in the middle so you can stick your thermometer probe inside it. Here's a link on AmazonClown Fish Water Wiggler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z4BT7E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pMz2ybQXWAGE4
I did my best to make my own using a baggie with some water in it then put my thermometer in so that the water column was around the probe but separated by plastic and then held it with a rubber band. And I did find that my average of temperature swings did end up being internal egg temperature

That sounds good to me that egg temperature was registering the average temperature. On my two batches using the average temperature an got one 83% and one 63% hatch rate. Since then I have double paned the view windows and and added electronic thermostat. I used the electronic thermostat to monitor the first two hatches. I trust it's accuracy. But was concerned about egg temperature.

I'm a little surprised you're getting that big of temperature Swings with the stc-1000. I'm assuming you have that F3 setting at .3 degrees. I'm getting a .6 degree swing total that's .3 degrees below and .3 degrees above nominal temperature. Perhaps your thermometer is more sensitive and faster reacting than mine. In my homemade incubator the heat source is drawn into the backside of the fan and blows air across the thermostat temperature probe which I have the zip tied directly to the fan here's a picture

I'm not sure if it makes much difference but I have time my heat Cycles the heat is on for 25 seconds and off for 50 seconds

Back
Top Bottom