Incubator.

chickmaniac250

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
I have a lot of questions about incubating. I have 2 other threads That i have gotten one post on and they were really helpful but I still have a few and I am hoping you can answer. Where can I get a good incubator for cheap? Is there any way to know if our eggs our fertile?
Anybody have any good videos on how to build a homemade incubator? What do I do once the chicks hatch? Do I put them in a brooder or leave them for a few days then move them? Do I move them at all? Am I supposed to let them sit for 12-24 hours so they get to room temperature? Any other tips would be helpful. And if you have any other questions or things that would be very important for a first time incubator that would be GREAT! Thanks please help me out!
fl.gif
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
highfive.gif
chickmaniac250

I have a lot of questions about incubating. I have 2 other threads That i have gotten one post on and they were really helpful but I still have a few and I am hoping you can answer. Where can I get a good incubator for cheap? Is there any way to know if our eggs our fertile?
Anybody have any good videos on how to build a homemade incubator? What do I do once the chicks hatch? Do I put them in a brooder or leave them for a few days then move them? Do I move them at all? Am I supposed to let them sit for 12-24 hours so they get to room temperature? Any other tips would be helpful. And if you have any other questions or things that would be very important for a first time incubator that would be GREAT! Thanks please help me out!
fl.gif
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
highfive.gif
chickmaniac250

Look on here and you might find some good pictures and diagrams on building an incubator. You tube is also a good place to look. I scored my Hovabator at a yard sale ( been used once) for less that $10.00. Look on ebay, craigslist, freecycle and the stuff for sale on BYC. You might be surprised at what you find. After the chicks hatch leave them in the incubator until they are completely dry and fluffy. I think up to 48 hrs, but double check by searching posts on BYC. After that move them to a brooder with heat.When collecting eggs for hatching you want to store them in a cool place, not cold up to 7 days pointy side down. Just do searches using term like Building an incubator, incubator for sale, storing fertile eggs, when to move to the brooder. You need to see if your rooster is covering your hens. There is no way to check an egg for fertility. If you get development in the incubator then it is fertile. If you have questions on whether all of your hens are laying fertile eggs then set more eggs than you originally planned to make up for any that aren't fertile. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom