Incubators Anonymous

Pics
Hello my name is Kayla and Im a hatchaholic. But Im functional and okay with my addiction. Lol
smile.png

That is the insidious part of our disease we seem to function just fine. Until one day our spouses are packing their bags saying they refuse to sleep with anymore chickens...

Of course, they could be the sick ones then..

That is the insidious part of our disease we seem to function just fine. Until one day our spouses are packing their bags saying they refuse to sleep with anymore chickens...

Of course, they could be the sick ones then..

That would be the case if my husband wasnt an addict too but he is chicken crazy as well. I married him for his sportsman (j/k).. we wore that old girl out. He was just fine and dandy when I informed him I placed my order to GQF for a new digital one. Some girls want pretty things and fancy cars.. not me. Give me an incubator and some fertile eggs and Im on cloud 9.

Last edited:
Just set 25 turkey eggs.

I have eggs that should hatch each week for the next 3 weeks.

Gonna set turkey eggs every Thurs thru may. Then if one goes broody will let them set some.

I just got 6 silkie eggs that were pretty scrambled in transit (they sent 8 - 2 were cracked beyond help), I messaged them about the damage and they are sending more eggs. I also got 12 auto sexing EE eggs yesterday, there are 20 FRIZZLED ee eggs arriving Friday, plus a dozen mix of eggs coming next week (I bought green egg layers a few months ago and none were fertile, so they are sending me replacement eggs). I've offered to pay shipping for any replaced eggs - I think that's only fair.

The question is, do I have enough room for these eggs? I have room for 25 - 28 in the other half of my Brinsea (depends on egg size), which is currently brewing 27 on day 4. The LG has 13 empty slots because of the 12 I just moved to lockdown last night (plus 1 quitter), and then 26 more after I move more eggs to lockdown on Monday. Do, I move the ones in the LG, over to the Brinsea and add all the new eggs to the LG? Or, fill the Brinsea with new eggs, and add the rest to the LG? I'm moving eggs around, scary, scary stuff.

Will I have enough room, or will I need another incubator????

I made my family VERY happy this morning....when I was excited about the new pip in the lock down incubator - they said "great, just what we need, more chicks" I was able to say that any chicks that hatch DON"T BELONG TO ME - I'm hatching them for a friend. So, let's hope 12 out of 12 hatch so that my good deed is rewarded!!!

I am addicted.....

I just got 6 silkie eggs that were pretty scrambled in transit  (they sent 8 - 2 were cracked beyond help), I messaged them about the damage and they are sending more eggs.  I also got 12 auto sexing EE eggs yesterday, there are 20 FRIZZLED ee eggs arriving Friday, plus a dozen mix of eggs coming next week (I bought green egg layers a few months ago and none were fertile, so they are sending me replacement eggs).   I've offered to pay shipping for any replaced eggs - I think that's only fair.  

The question is, do I have enough room for these eggs?   I have room for 25 - 28 in the other half of my Brinsea (depends on egg size), which is currently brewing 27 on day 4.  The LG has 13 empty slots because of the 12 I just moved to lockdown last night (plus 1 quitter), and then 26 more after I move more eggs to lockdown on Monday.   Do, I move the ones in the LG, over to the Brinsea and add all the new eggs to the LG?  Or, fill the Brinsea with new eggs, and add the rest to the LG?  I'm moving eggs around, scary, scary stuff.  

Will I have enough room, or will I need another incubator????

I made my family VERY happy this morning....when I was excited about the new pip in the lock down incubator - they said "great, just what we need, more chicks" I was able to say that any chicks that hatch DON"T BELONG TO ME - I'm hatching them for a friend.  So, let's hope 12 out of 12 hatch so that my good deed is rewarded!!!

I am addicted.....

It's so easy to get addicted to! I say stick the eggs wherever they fit, just mark them all so you know which ones to move when. I use the hatch a batch app and keep notes to remember which go when. I wounds try to rearrange though so each hatch is at least in the same incubator as any others in the same group. I just went through my cabinet bator the other day and arranged all the eggs based on their hatch date lol.

Where did you get your silkie eggs from? I won an auction about a month ago from chickenlittlefarm (I think) on ebay. It was for 8, she sent 10. One broke, 9 developed, and 6 hatched. Not bad for shipped eggs from FL to PA. I did lose one today though unfortunately. Just failed to thrive. Of course it was my favorite one.

My family has given up wowing about the amount of chicks I hatch out. They've been selling so fast that it hasn't been a problem yet. One of these days my luck may run out though lol

It's so easy to get addicted to! I say stick the eggs wherever they fit, just mark them all so you know which ones to move when. I use the hatch a batch app and keep notes to remember which go when. I wounds try to rearrange though so each hatch is at least in the same incubator as any others in the same group. I just went through my cabinet bator the other day and arranged all the eggs based on their hatch date lol.

Where did you get your silkie eggs from? I won an auction about a month ago from chickenlittlefarm (I think) on ebay. It was for 8, she sent 10. One broke, 9 developed, and 6 hatched. Not bad for shipped eggs from FL to PA. I did lose one today though unfortunately. Just failed to thrive. Of course it was my favorite one.

My family has given up wowing about the amount of chicks I hatch out. They've been selling so fast that it hasn't been a problem yet. One of these days my luck may run out though lol
Mine came from Crescent City, CA. I've limited my ebay searches to local breeders only, just to see if that helps. Crescent City is only about 700 miles, so it's not too local. But at least it's not crossing state lines...lol

My problem is, I threw all the babies into 1 brooder. There are 39 in there now. I don't know which chicks are which breed. I'm going to have to let them grow up a little first. I want to keep at least 1 girl from each breed. I'm trying to get a wider variety of chickens (entertainment value only). If I can get an auto sexing breed, I might consider keeping a rooster and trying to breed them. At this point, I'm only breeding silkies.

How do you part with all the babies? That's what I"m stressing about....

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom