Incubators Anonymous

Pics
I have up even attempting to see into my FBCM eggs lol. At least in the early days. I can usually tell when one is clear at lockdown though. I miss hatching them. Can't wait till my young pullets come of age.

I saw in an earlier post - using an Ardurio? I'm toying with making a hatcher. For brooding the young chicks I put a heating pad under a plastic box. All the heating pads now shut off after an hour so I drive the heating pad with a typical solid state relay and have that drive interrupted and restarted every 58 minutes. Couldn't hack the reduced instruction set heating pad control.

Sunbeam makes a heating pad with an auto-shut off over ride. I use them to make brooders for my babies, I can control the heat and at full they use 60 watts versus 250 on a heat lamp.....In addition it virtually eliminates Pasty butt!

Here is a thread on them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/956958

Yes. And back then when I tried I had only used a flashlight. Might try a 100 watt bulb in a coffee can this time.

I See your a new egg here, Just noticed it,, Welcome to BYC...

You might want to try a good flashlight again, The improvements in LED flashlights in the last 5 years is 100 fold! I use a cheap LED flash light now, it works 10 times btter than my 60 buck (can you say ripped off) egg candler!

I have up even attempting to see into my FBCM eggs lol. At least in the early days. I can usually tell when one is clear at lockdown though. I miss hatching them. Can't wait till my young pullets come of age.

Shells are so strong I worry less about a bad egg exploding or breaking.

Lost 5he little curled/club footed baby. Just couldn't walk. :(

I'm sorry. :( Poor little baby.

One of mine hatched with a curled foot after being helped out of the egg 36+ hours after starting to zip. I used bandaids to splint its feet and it's doing well. It's a bit smaller than the other one, but is eating and drinking and walking well. Its balance is getting better and I think it's going to be fine.

Last edited:
Lost 5he little curled/club footed baby. Just couldn't walk. :(

I'm sorry. :( Poor little baby.

One of mine hatched with a curled foot after being helped out of the egg 36+ hours after starting to zip. I used bandaids to splint its feet and it's doing well. It's a bit smaller than the other one, but is eating and drinking and walking well. Its balance is getting better and I think it's going to be fine.

I tried the bandaid but they were both curled all the way back at the ankle so the splint just curled under with his feet. It took him about 36 hrs also before i peeled it out of the shell. I think it was just to weak . The other two that never pipped had shells that were moving but then died. When i eggtopsied thise they had the same feet. Think it was a vitamin deficiency in the parent flock.

I have splinted 6-7 chicks this spring. It seems to be those that are slow hatchers, or they are slow hatchers because of their problems. 2 of the ones I did are alive. One is a month old but has a crooked hump backed neck, We named her "Igor". She is so much smaller than her classmates, I expect her to be dead any day now. The other gets along fine but kind of hops and drags the bad foot.

The others either died or went to sleep forever in the Gas Chamber.

Good luck on yours! The foot is not as bad as a leg, I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom