Incubators Anonymous

Pics
That is a LOT of babies. Is the above your totals after candling, or how many your originally set? How are things looking? I have to admit I have not candled my latest batch even once!! I have about 30 eggs on day 17, and about 90 on day 7. I think I'll candle everything tonight.

That was my total I put in the incubator the other night. I had a very bad development rate. Some circles of death, but mainly non-starters.

I've decided that I'm not setting any more eggs. I don't know if I will hatch anymore after our beach vacation or not (end of July) but it seems that sales are dramatically dropping off around here and keeping up with feed costs is getting tough. Time to practice some flock subtraction.

I've decided that I'm not setting any more eggs. I don't know if I will hatch anymore after our beach vacation or not (end of July) but it seems that sales are dramatically dropping off around here and keeping up with feed costs is getting tough. Time to practice some flock subtraction.

Or take them to the beach with you....

Just make sure it is clothing optional. Most hens look terrible in a bikini.

And as I speak of reducing the flock, I go to pick up feed and they have LF gold laced and buff laced polish chicks. I came home with 2 gold laced and 3 buff laced...all the Polish they had lol

Well darn! Btw how long before you can tell silkies sex? Anyone know?
I have never been able to sex them until the feathers on their head start to grow in. Boys will have shooters that grow out the back, girls have nice fluffy heads. My latest batch are 3 months old and I'm just STARTING to guess.

This my frizzle sizzke silkie. At 3 weeks old.
Sebastian or Sebastiana as the case may be

This would be the sizzle (smooth) sibling. He /she got trapped next to the fence and the durn dog was trying to eat it thru the fence pulled out all of the feathers on one leg and even cut its little leg. Vetrycin to the rescue. About to be short one golden retriever. That would be chicken #3 she has gotten!
1f620.png

And # 3 a black frizzle sizzle silkie...has no top knot like the other 2 have.

This my frizzle sizzke silkie. At 3 weeks old.
Sebastian or Sebastiana as the case may be

This would be the sizzle (smooth) sibling. He /she got trapped next to the fence and the durn dog was trying to eat it thru the fence pulled out all of the feathers on one leg and even cut its little leg. Vetrycin to the rescue. About to be short one golden retriever. That would be chicken #3 she has gotten!
1f620.png

AWESOME pictures! Adorable chickies!!

Would a regular silkie be considered smooth or does they need to have a frizzle genes? I have 2 frizzled silkies - both appear to be girls. I'll need to get new photos - although they will never have the beautiful backdrop yours have!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

I set my Porter Eggs today and I moved the 12ths hatch to the hatcher.

I have 18 potential white sports.
16 Speckled Sussex.
about.....

7-8 toad eggs

3-4 CLB not white sport capable.

and about 18 EE and brown egg layers.

This my frizzle sizzke silkie. At 3 weeks old. Sebastian or Sebastiana as the case may be This would be the sizzle (smooth) sibling. He /she got trapped next to the fence and the durn dog was trying to eat it thru the fence pulled out all of the feathers on one leg and even cut its little leg. Vetrycin to the rescue. About to be short one golden retriever. That would be chicken #3 she has gotten!
1f620.png
AWESOME pictures! Adorable chickies!! Would a regular silkie be considered smooth or does they need to have a frizzle genes? I have 2 frizzled silkies - both appear to be girls. I'll need to get new photos - although they will never have the beautiful backdrop yours have!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Im not sure! Lol i think i have been told reg. Silkie is a silkie. A sizzle has silkie characteristics but has regular feathers making it a smooth. Add the frizzle gene and you get a wild feathered chicken with silkie characteristics.some please correct me if this is not right. Im just learning genetics.... of chickens.oh and thank you the back drop is out of a scrapebook paper book!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom