Incubators Anonymous

Pics
If this group is still going I'd like to join you.

My name is Bente and I was 10 years sober. Even sold my bator. Then my husband bought me a farm. Sobriety over.

I'm starting out slowly. I didn't want to get over my head. I made up some story about a classroom project for my kindergartener. So they can learn about hatching ha ha. I set 28 mixed eggs on the 28th and 2nd. I then ordered 35 chicks online for instant gratification.

The real horror started this morning when I woefully took my babies as i call them to my daughter's school, where I then spent an hour and a half procrastinating and looking at the bator with a serious face pretending i was making important adjustments and readings.

Eventually I had to leave the classroom. It was getting obvious. And now I sit here wondering what have I done??!! The gravity of my horrible mistake is becoming evident. Who will candle them obsessively every night?? Who will check the angles of the thermometers and the cant of the turner? Who will walk over at least 9 times an hour to just stare at them, willing away blood rings and emptiness?

So naturally the only reasonable thing to do is to buy another incubator, and immediately search for more eggs.

If I hide the second bator it's like it won't even exist :::maniacal laugh:::

Yep, that's what happens! One little slip, then it's head over heels, back down the rabbit hole lol.

I have 23 babies in my SHOWER, 23 babies in a plastic tote in that same bathroom, and I just set 63 eggs.  Mix of Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Blue Wyandottes, Heritage RIR, Barred Rock and Frilkie/Silkie eggs. 

My incubator is FULL, and I have 2 more shipments of eggs on their way.  

I have a hatching problem....

We ALL have a hatching problem lol. my husband would kill me if i put chicks in the bathroom (dang germaphobe). BUT I have a brooder in our room for the newest babies, right beside the bed, red heart lamp and all and two large dog crates connected to make a large brooder in the screen porch (which is full atm). In may, I will have about 35 CX and 3 RSL coming in at the feed store. That's what happens when they give away free chicks with feed purchases lol

@duluthralphie, there is just absolutely no help for you lol. Though, if I keep going the way I am, I'm going to be just as bad as you! I have more orders than I can keep up with at the moment lol

Numerous varieties.  There is a baker's dozen of cream legbar and 51 Welsummer along with 76 potential Sapphires and 3 dozen Rose Comb Brown Leghorn/Cream Legbar bred back to a Cream Legbar rooster and some other mixed varieties bred to a Cream Legbar rooster.

Oh! How dark of an egg do your welsummer lay?

At least this is the first batch of the year for me.  You have been going since October as I recall.:old

Yes, guilty! I can't stand not having babies around here lol

Back
Top Bottom