Incubators Anonymous

Pics
ep.gif

Ralphie needs that one.

I do!!!

I just finished my terrible hatch. Well, am in the process of it. Started 36 hours ago.

This is the one where I lost the electricity twice and the timer motor went out so I have no idea how long they sat without turning.

I did not even get half what I expected and I had a lot of stuck chicks and weak ones not able to get out. I unloaded the healthy ones and shut it back up will open it tomorrow night and see what happened. I am glad I just had this weeks hatch in that incubator.

I did get 5 turkeys though, A black, bronze and 3 blues.

I have a friend in Wyoming that just loves Black turkeys maybe I will send it to him....
lau.gif

Last edited:
Ok, I filled my first Brinsea 40 (with 63 eggs). I picked up my second one from the friend that had borrowed it. I filled that one (62 eggs). The first locks down tomorrow. The second is split into 2 hatches, one day 14, the other day 8. I wanted to set eggs for the EHAL, but didn't have room for any more eggs. So the Brinsea 20 I bought with the intention of setting it up at my daughter's school for the kids to hatch eggs was sitting there. It was begging me to use it. And I thought....I really should hatch something in it, to make sure it's a good one, right?

Well, it's plugged in. My egg o matic has been calibrated - I know it's 2 degrees WARMER than it should read. So, it says 102, when my calibrated Brinsea says 100. Well, it's in the new Brinsea and that is set for 99.8, and the egg o meter says 94. That's scaring me. I added a non calibrated hygrometer I had, that is in Celsius, but it's usually within a degree or so to the egg o meter. It's reading 28.5.which is 83.3 degrees. I think I need a few more hygrometers....and I need to calibrate them.... Neither of my first 2 Brinseas was more than .5 degrees off calibrated - what's with this one?????

Ok, I filled my first Brinsea 40 (with 63 eggs).  I picked up my second one from the friend that had borrowed it.  I filled that one (62 eggs).  The first locks down tomorrow.  The second is split into 2 hatches, one day 14, the other day 8.  I wanted to set eggs for the EHAL, but didn't have room for any more eggs.  So the Brinsea 20 I bought with the intention of setting it up at my daughter's school for the kids to hatch eggs was sitting there.  It was begging me to use it.  And I thought....I really should hatch something in it, to make sure it's a good one, right?

Well, it's plugged in.  My egg o matic has been calibrated - I know it's 2 degrees WARMER than it should read.  So, it says 102, when my calibrated Brinsea says 100.  Well, it's in the new Brinsea and that is set for 99.8, and the egg o meter says 94.  That's scaring me.  I added a non calibrated hygrometer I had, that is in Celsius, but it's usually within a degree or so to the egg o meter.  It's reading 28.5.which is 83.3 degrees.  I think I need a few more hygrometers....and I need to calibrate them.... Neither of my first 2 Brinseas was more than .5 degrees off calibrated - what's with this one?????

Sorry I can't give you any advice on your brinsea. I'm a GQF person. I borrowed a brinsea to try last year and couldn't stand it so I never even considered one again. How you figure it out though. Maybe an email to the company?

You do sound rather addicted though with all those incubators going. I can honestly say I only have 1 incubator running and 1 hatcher. The size of the incubator is irrelevant lol

Ok, I filled my first Brinsea 40 (with 63 eggs).  I picked up my second one from the friend that had borrowed it.  I filled that one (62 eggs).  The first locks down tomorrow.  The second is split into 2 hatches, one day 14, the other day 8.  I wanted to set eggs for the EHAL, but didn't have room for any more eggs.  So the Brinsea 20 I bought with the intention of setting it up at my daughter's school for the kids to hatch eggs was sitting there.  It was begging me to use it.  And I thought....I really should hatch something in it, to make sure it's a good one, right?

Well, it's plugged in.  My egg o matic has been calibrated - I know it's 2 degrees WARMER than it should read.  So, it says 102, when my calibrated Brinsea says 100.  Well, it's in the new Brinsea and that is set for 99.8, and the egg o meter says 94.  That's scaring me.  I added a non calibrated hygrometer I had, that is in Celsius, but it's usually within a degree or so to the egg o meter.  It's reading 28.5.which is 83.3 degrees.  I think I need a few more hygrometers....and I need to calibrate them.... Neither of my first 2 Brinseas was more than .5 degrees off calibrated - what's with this one?????

Is your brinsea an adv. If it is did the cooling feature get turned on.

I only have experience with one Brinsea, but it was 100% right on the entire time. I did read somewhere on the forum about people calibrating their Brinseas. You might search that. I ended up not needing it, but thought it was interesting information.

Is your brinsea an adv. If it is did the cooling feature get turned on.
Yes, it's an advanced. I know my first Brinsea was right on the money. The second, was .5 degrees off the first. This one, now that it's been running for 2 days is staying 2 degrees off from the 2 other Brinseas. Same hygrometers taking turns in all 3. First 2 are spot on with my adjustment on the 1. This one is 2 degrees cooler.

Ok, everything is set, lock down eggs are good, sadly I had to pull 24 of my 63 - although that's good, because what's left, fits nicely in the lock down bator. The Broody hen pile has at least 2 chicks. I'm leaving them alone to let them figure it out. My Easter HAL eggs are holding steady at somewhere between 100.1 and 100.6. My day 16 eggs are all looking good. I didn't plan far enough ahead, since the day 16 eggs are in the same bator as some day 10 eggs. I might have to fire up another incubator.

But here is the set up. The Hoverbator to the right is not mine - I found it in a closet, and need to return it to the owner.

I just realized that I accidently week have a massive hatch this week (for me anyway). A month ago, I set 19 turkey eggs (it was a great week before girls went broody and stopped laying because of cold). Then a week later I set a bunch of eggs from @Sally Sunshine, a bunch of dark brown eggs from my girls, and then the usual silkies, CCL, and silkied lavender ameraucanas. It's something like 75 eggs! They will not all fit in my hatcher. I think I'll be using the bottom of the cabinet this time lol

I just realized that I accidently week have a massive hatch this week (for me anyway). A month ago, I set 19 turkey eggs (it was a great week before girls went broody and stopped laying because of cold). Then a week later I set a bunch of eggs from @Sally Sunshine , a bunch of dark brown eggs from my girls, and then the usual silkies, CCL, and silkied lavender ameraucanas. It's something like 75 eggs! They will not all fit in my hatcher. I think I'll be using the bottom of the cabinet this time lol
lau.gif
I just did a double stack hatch shhhhhh dont tell anyone!

I dont suggest it, I had to keep pulling from baskets as they could hop right now, I needed to know who was who!

:lau    I just did a double stack hatch    shhhhhh dont tell anyone!

I dont suggest it, I had to keep pulling from baskets as they could hop right now, I needed to know who was who!

Oh I've done the double stack hatch before and it was NUTS! I'm going to have a bunch of baskets and bags seperating breeds from each other so stacking won't work quite as well this time. Not like it worked well last time though lol

Back
Top Bottom