Incubators Anonymous

Pics
ps.... we have found that if you lay shipped eggs that have started upright horizontal before day 10-12 you will get some DIS dont ask my why but we have noted that big time! So we always wait until later to lay. even good air cell eggs this happens too when shipped

ummmm I dont know none stink so I just locked them down, didnt candle since the first time at what day 10 ?  I told you I dont mess with them much.  they just do their thing in there.  Plus I like surprises!   :oops:    the goose eggs havent been candled again either, not much I can do as they are already running dry anyways.  I think I did this so much I know what the house is and what breeds need that I dont really need to fiddle much.    I will candle the goose eggs tonight or tomorrow though as I have a week left to make adjustments

I dont have an issue hatching, more is the issue for the malpositions remaining after all others hatch, usually the first malposition position that can pip externally gets out and makes it, very few actually croak and if they do its from moisture in the egg, and I dont really have that.  then the mals that remain after all others hatch, a hole in them sure aint gonna help them hatch at all.  So why bother?   I rarely have chicks internally pip that dont get out, if I do it was a humidity issue. 

I keep shipped eggs upright until at least day 12 and then I will lay them down.  All other eggs get incubated on the sides and I roll the eggs with my palms dont really turn them per say. 

The suspense would kill me! Lol

ummmm I dont know none stink so I just locked them down, didnt candle since the first time at what day 10 ? I told you I dont mess with them much. they just do their thing in there. Plus I like surprises!
hide.gif
the goose eggs havent been candled again either, not much I can do as they are already running dry anyways. I think I did this so much I know what the house is and what breeds need that I dont really need to fiddle much. I will candle the goose eggs tonight or tomorrow though as I have a week left to make adjustments

I dont have an issue hatching, more is the issue for the malpositions remaining after all others hatch, usually the first malposition position that can pip externally gets out and makes it, very few actually croak and if they do its from moisture in the egg, and I dont really have that. then the mals that remain after all others hatch, a hole in them sure aint gonna help them hatch at all. So why bother? I rarely have chicks internally pip that dont get out, if I do it was a humidity issue.

I keep shipped eggs upright until at least day 12 and then I will lay them down. All other eggs get incubated on the sides and I roll the eggs with my palms dont really turn them per say.
Hi Sally!!!!! I'm with you! I don't candle anymore until I lock them down. I might check one or two, but that's it. I find on shipped eggs the LESS I handle them, the better. But, my last hatch, with the extra post office travels, my not handling them much didn't help. It had some really scrambled eggs.

really? 

yep, Jess eggs were really crappy air cells as well as goose eggs so I didnt mess with them.  I dont really any eggs to be honest.  

I always candle and mark air cells when I move eggs to lockdown.I thought everyone did lol. But I understand not wanting to mess too much with them. I hope you get some pretty silvery babies and more goosers!

Hi there! I am brand new to these online forums/messages, and brand new to incubating. We just incubated our first batch of duck eggs and I had a major problem. I was wondering if I could ask questions here or if there's another thread I should try...? I don't know what the etiquette is for the groups! I tried starting a thread and received no responses. Thank you, any advice would be helpful. -Victoria

I used to just so I could nosey at pips, but I dont bother anymore. Really makes no difference to them if you mark air cells or not
lau.gif
either they gonna hatch or not despite those pencil/sharpie marks
I used to mark the air cells, mark the draw down, guess where they would pip. First chick out would then play football with the rest of the eggs. Forget how I had set the eggs in there - the majority of my "pip" mark were no longer visible. So, now, I candle as I'm dropping them in the bator, pulling any clears - just to give the eggs more room to hatch.

Ok, so I locked down the lone Biefielder for a friend (she got a batch of infertile eggs - the seller has agreed to replace them) plus 4 of her backyard eggs. I candled them a few times this hatch, just to give her updates. My Americaunas, that I got from cree57i, looked really good. I think I locked down 9 of 12 eggs. After that, I have all the bantams from TJ for the Easter HAL. Then I'm putting away the 'bators for a while. I had 1 of the Easter HAL eggs on the side of the Brinsea with the lock down eggs. So, I candled it before putting it back in. It was mostly clear. I didn't see any veins, but since I didn't candle any of the others, I put it back in. I'll check it later....

Hi there! I am brand new to these online forums/messages, and brand new to incubating. We just incubated our first batch of duck eggs and I had a major problem. I was wondering if I could ask questions here or if there's another thread I should try...? I don't know what the etiquette is for the groups! I tried starting a thread and received no responses. Thank you, any advice would be helpful. -Victoria
welcome-byc.gif

Ask away, we can't answer questions that aren't asked. If the question is more appropriate for somewhere else, we will try to direct you to the best place to get an answer. If it is an incubation question there probably isn't a better person to ask than @Sally Sunshine

If it's about dux, don't ask @duluthralphie

Back
Top Bottom