Incubators Anonymous

Don't know if I'll get any Mr. T babies this year... I have set 8-9 so far and not one fertile egg... I think he's a dud... Or old age is getting to him??

Look what's in my incubator!

Thanks to @Molpet 6 turkey eggs found their way into my incubator last month. All the eggs are due to hatch today but these two decided to hatch a day early. None of the other eggs even have pips yet. I guess it's going to be an unusual hatch.

Meanwhile, I have a new/inexperienced broody sitting on 2 eggs from this batch. If she does well, she'll get the whole incubator. The hen is "Smudge" my giant 10lb orp hen. I never thought that big girl would go broody. Then I've got my penciled rock stealing eggs, squawking, and taking over the #1 nest box. She's also new. Let's not forget Cookie who's still caring for DD's silkie hatch. Now I know what people mean when they say broodiness is contagious!

I don't have a recent pic, but this is Smudge: a HUGE black/lav split English Orp.

Cookie & silkie chicks (a few weeks ago)

Penciled Rock a couple days ago. I now see where she was pulling out feathers & how she's more "puffy" I was hoping she's be a non-broody bird.

Congratulations on the babies and broodies! All my blrw eggs are going in today. I have 23 between my eBay eggs and raffle eggs :)

Today's hatch day, but it's a strange one.
2 turkeys hatched last night

1 chick hatched this afternoon (should be a blue silver laced orp :love)

about 6-7 pips

I'd say I'm having a day late hatch - except that 2 hatched early.
Never hatched turkeys before, so I'm pretty excited.

Today's Pics so far
(The turkeys were moving about - until I put my hand there. Instant snuggling)

This is my "chick explosion" week.
I have about 2 doz chicks (2.5 wks old) remaining from all the preschool hatchings, and now my own incubator is hatching. Add a penciled rock who stole another batch of eggs from her flockmates. She's crazy broody! How do chickens even carry eggs from one nest box to another?

IMG_9198.JPG

Today's hatch day, but it's a strange one.
2 turkeys hatched last night

1 chick hatched this afternoon (should be a blue silver laced orp :love)

about 6-7 pips

I'd say I'm having a day late hatch - except that 2 hatched early.
Never hatched turkeys before, so I'm pretty excited.

Today's Pics so far
(The turkeys were moving about - until I put my hand there. Instant snuggling)

This is my "chick explosion" week.
I have about 2 doz chicks (2.5 wks old) remaining from all the preschool hatchings, and now my own incubator is hatching. Add a penciled rock who stole another batch of eggs from her flockmates. She's crazy broody! How do chickens even carry eggs from one nest box to another?

View attachment 1394547

Absolutely adorable! I love turkey snuggles!

I just set my last big batch of eggs last night. There were 61 chicken and I think 18 turkey? I don't think I'll get anywhere near that many babies though. All my breeding pens have been released and the flock is one big group again. I'll be working on some subtraction here over the next couple weeks.

Hello everyone, I'm Jack and I've been addicted to Incubators for about a year now. I have a Brinsea Octogon 20 (I think?) and a homemade Cooler-Bator I call the "Colema-bator" unfortunately the colemabator only really works for a winter hatch since it didn't go so great with the hatch I tried to do last month ish.

I'm currently borrowing my friend's hovabator which I'll probably be using as a hatcher if I wind up getting those 7 goose eggs I'm eagerly wanting.

Hello everyone, I'm Jack and I've been addicted to Incubators for about a year now. I have a Brinsea Octogon 20 (I think?) and a homemade Cooler-Bator I call the "Colema-bator" unfortunately the colemabator only really works for a winter hatch since it didn't go so great with the hatch I tried to do last month ish.

I'm currently borrowing my friend's hovabator which I'll probably be using as a hatcher if I wind up getting those 7 goose eggs I'm eagerly wanting.

Welcome! Sounds like you're setup for lots of babies!

Back
Top Bottom