Incubators Anonymous

was looking at the number of birds running around brooders at my place( need more brooders!) Wow! there are a few. have 11 duck and one turkey egg in lockdown now.
set a dozen black/blue copper marans, 9 red necked neck both from farms not far from me. a few black Necked necks from our flock as well as some green eggs from the mixed color necked neck pen, some light brahma crossed with a necked neck rooster. ok we have around 100 eggs in incubation and looking to set some from the Dual purpose pen next monday so they hatch under the deadline for the dual purpose meat birds for our county fair.
We did send some heritage turkeys home with another 4h kid saturday.

My cabinet bator is almost at capacity right now. I'm hatching for a friend so about 7 dozen of them are his but the rest are mine....

20200301_164209.jpg
20200301_164708.jpg
20200301_164929.jpg
20200301_164945.jpg

Of course all the turkey eggs are filthy from them laying them in the mud and I just finished a hatch so there's egg shells everywhere lol

I was doing good for a while. My "last hatch" was done. I put all the other incubators into storage and did a thorough clean out of my little NR360 incubator.
:oops:
I had some orp eggs on the counter that somehow ended up in here. Now I hope a hen goes broody for me.

The one rooster has not been fertile, so doubtful that half will even develop. (Reason why I'm growing out a replacement) The other rooster is at only 50-75% fertility.

IMG_5595 (2).JPG

yeah I told the DH that I was only going to do 2 hatches this fall one in Aug and the other in sep.... So why is the cabinet incubator full to capacity(82), and 2 Muscovy hens sitting on 6 eggs??? oh and the dozen or so eggs due this weekend. hummm oh thats right I have no control over when the hens I want to incubate from decide to lay.... Broad beasted Black turkey hen is laying so all those Need to go in right??? what if she doesn't survive much longer like last years BB hen???? Now all I have to do is get rid of .... something????(sounds good but not likely to happen)

Christmas is almost here! Anyone having Christmas babies or doing the NYD hatch along? I have silkies/ showgirls and turkey eggs in the bator now. The silkies are all developing but I don't think my toms have quite gotten in the mood yet. Those eggs all look infertile. First babies are for in Christmas then ever week after lol

Nothing due to hatch - yet.....

I have a very persistent broody silkie. For 2 weeks, I've been trying to explain to her that cold winter temps and snow are not good conditions for newly hatched chicks. I put aside a few eggs and am thinking of giving in to her.

inside right??? cuz everyone needs a house chicken??

....I have one at the moment lol

20201218_075102.jpg
20201218_074949.jpg

Miss Curiosity got coccidiosis and lost a ton of weight so I had to bring her in for treatment... but now it's too cold to put her back out. She's turned into a major cookie monster (I share Christmas cookies with her every day lol)

Back
Top Bottom