Incubators

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I thought I would post about incubators. I have had do it yourself incubators, that have worked great, I have also had cheap bubble ones (Junk,) One time I had one of those yellow topped Chinese incubator, (don't buy junk again.)

I just wanted to mention, it is best to try and set at least 6 eggs, chicks will not be happy if you only hatch one or 2.

One time I hatched with my yellow top incubator, the hatch was great, so my next batch I ordered $ eggs, then the incubator quit. I had to put them in a DIY, then order one on line. The one I ordered I found out a week later, was a lie, and he had no intention of sending anything. I had to order a second one (farm innovators still air). After that situation, I also bought a little giant, so I had 2 incubators one for incubating one for hatching. I wanted to slow my hatching down (didn't happen) and sold my Little Giant. But 2 incubators is a good idea, then you have a back up.

I already have a incubator but ur sayin do not buy a cheap one? It could make ur thread betr if you had some links for incubators.

I bought a $30-$40 one off amazon after my broodies ruined the first batch and its working good. But im going to buy a different one so that if something happens i have 2

I am making an extra home made incubator. I don't have plans on using it, I just like to play. I will post pics when I am done.
I look forward to seeing your home made incubator. I have one that I put together real cheap. I still have 3 extra digital thermostats laying around because buying four was only a couple bucks more than getting one. I have been getting the itch to build another one and I still haven’t used the first one enough to really get the hang of it yet. I guess I just like building stuff.

I hatch just small clutches of chicks now (if I don’t let a broody do it), and I’ve used the Kebonnix for quite a long time. I really like it. I have a 2nd one for a backup. I place thermometer hygrometers all around the incubator floor, because I don’t trust the digital reading on any incubator. I’ve never built one from scratch, but it does sound very interesting. Perhaps I’ll try that. 🙂

I incubated my first chicks 40 years ago in an old galvanized metal still air incubator, but still am trying to perfect my efforts. Things happen you do not anticipate. Some people seem much better at that than me, successfully hatching that is. I would certainly suggest getting an incubator that has a circulation fan and egg turners. Humidity control is also vital and very close attention or an automated humidity system would be a good idea . I have seen some very good homemade incubators! My results vary to this day from excellent to not so good. I shoot for 80% plus hatches but some are still only 50%. I have never had much over 90 % hatch. Anything over 80% is excellent in my book.

I hatch just small clutches of chicks now (if I don’t let a broody do it), and I’ve used the Kebonnix for quite a long time. I really like it. I have a 2nd one for a backup. I place thermometer hygrometers all around the incubator floor, because I don’t trust the digital reading on any incubator. I’ve never built one from scratch, but it does sound very interesting. Perhaps I’ll try that. 🙂
Your smart to not trust the temps and humidity on the incubators devices! I use at least one back up for both. My next to the last hatch would of been better except I slipped up and trusted a new device and did not check it for several days with a back up. The temps were off a full degree and the humidity several degrees!

Back
Top Bottom