Indian Runner Duck _ She is trying to push something

That’s a huge prolapse gently feel to make sure there isn’t an egg in there. Be sure to have clean hands. I wouldn’t put her in hot water Luke warm but not hot. This needs to be lubed up and try to gently get it back inside but make sure there isn’t an egg. Actually a vet might be best then they can put a stitch to keep it inside. You don’t want it to stay out and dry out. Keep her inside so it doesn’t get dirty. Soft towels would be best nothing that will stick to this prolapse.

I couldn't feel any egg now, (even last time i couldn't feel any turns out to be a softshell egg). I have earlier seen her in a few occasions when she laid one hard shell in the morning and another softshell inside the pond water. Im kinda unsure if its really egg bound still. Vet is pretty rare near my town and they dont treat duck itseems.
Currently i gave her some warm water and then she's in her nest keeping her vent lift up.
I can try lube her with coconut oil or something and try to push inside. But still don't know how to ensure if there's no egg.

Go ahead and get some calcium gluconate I don’t think it will hurt and if she has an egg stuck I don’t know how she’ll get it out with that prolapse. How is she today? Use the coconut oil to keep it moist.

Hi @Miss Lydia, yes i slowly pushed it inside with coconut oil(It was bit scary) and kept her inside the home for few hours .She seems better now, and noticed she was eating food as well, didn't see any softshell eggs so far. Hope she's gonne be ok during next next egg laying cycle.

Poor drake, will be in quarantine for a couple of days lol.

Hi @Miss Lydia , I thought she had fully recovered, as she was eating well and laid her eggs from yesterday (softshell) and today (hardshell). However, she was completely fine until suddenly not walking and unable to hold her head steady. Her legs seem weak and I'm concerned. I don't know why this happened. Up until her afternoon meal and banana treat, she seemed perfectly fine. I've checked for egg binding or prolapse, but I couldn't find any issues. I tried placing her in warm water, but she couldn't stay inside the tub, and I also provided her with some vitamin water. I'm unsure about what to do next.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 4.59.24 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 4.59.24 PM.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 4.59.23 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 4.59.23 PM.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 4
Poor girl I am not sure what may be going on unless she is laying internally and that can cause infection. But to be completely normal and then turn around and not be sure isn't right.
Do you have any B vitamins possibly a B complex just to cover if she is having a niacin deficiency? And does she have access to calcium like oyster shells?

Are you able to get Antibiotics it might not be a bad idea to give her some and see if it helps.

I usually add vitamin complex with niacin to their food every day. I missed the last 2 days, but I added it again this morning. For calcium, I mix poultry calcium powder, which I bought locally, with their feed daily.
I just gave some diluted vitamin complex to her with a syringe, since she is not eating. I believe I have some antibiotics that I can give to her right away.

Hi @Miss Lydia , gave her vitamin and antibiotics last night, and she appears to be doing better now. She's eating and even laid an egg. Although she seems a bit weak, she's actively walking and eager for food. Thanks for your help Miss Lydia.

& also I've separated the drake again. Is it common for females to lose feathers on the back of their neck due to mating, or could it be a result of his aggressive behavior? In the last week, the drake has been in confinement due to prolapse issue, and within just a couple of days after he joined the girls, I noticed the feathers missing from their necks (even this white one). I've observed him trying to force them in the pond few times before, but after he joined back, the females get his attention by wiggling their necks and lay on the ground. Was he a bit aggressive due to the isolation. Please advise.

Yes drakes grab hold of their neck feathers when mating so he doesn't fall off.
Just watch her so that he doesn't pull them out to where he is grabbing skin. Drake can be aggressive when mating and cause injuries but the girls seem to tolerate this pretty well as long as he isn't causing injury. Just like your seeing my Runners always invite their drake for mating. We just don't want open skin which can cause infection. Mating in water is really easier on the females than on land.
Sure is good news to hear she is already doing better. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom