Indian Runners that didn't follow instructions ...

Phlox Flock

Hatching
May 13, 2016
Hampshire, UK
Having been told my runners wouldn't sit - they did!

... the first started sitting as soon as she had 2 eggs. Then she started stealing the other ducks' eggs until she had a pile of about 20. After about 3 weeks sitting another duck also decided she was broody and they have been sitting together sharing the nest (a very modern family with 2 mums!) Today is Friday - Wednesday 1 hatched, and yesterday another - both mums seem very proud of themselves!

However, my question is - because she sat from the first egg ... will the whole clutch still hatch in the same window - 72 hours-ish? Or might they actually hatch over the same period it took for her to lay and steal them all? I don't want to leave dead rotting eggs around the new ducklings, but I don't want to discard a healthy developing egg that's further behind in its growing process. How long should I wait and leave the other eggs? Does any one have any advice?

Thank you!!

3 days later...number 3 duckling has appeared
1f423.png

No more since then. But both mums sharing the parenting responsibilities equally :)

Parents are white runners and either a black runner or a black Cayuga - each duckling is black with a yellow bib, and all are upright. I have inadvertently hatched penguins!

Back
Top Bottom