Indio Gigante broodiness

Oct 30, 2023
California
Hello again everyone! I’ve recently purchased 6 Indio Gigante chicks from Greenfire farms! And I have a few questions for anyone who may be more knowledgeable than myself!

I’ve heard mixed ideas on whether or not Indio Gigante chickens are good mothers / brooders. I’m always looking for a good broody hen so I’m just curious. If any of you own Indio Gigante what’s your personal experience like with broody hens?

Attached is some of the Indio Gigante chicks for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpeg
    IMG_1302.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 41
awww they are super cute. I dont have any, I wonder who does. with half a million members here there's got to be somebody... Ill try to bump your thread up for attention.

Hello again everyone! I’ve recently purchased 6 Indio Gigante chicks from Greenfire farms! And I have a few questions for anyone who may be more knowledgeable than myself!

I’ve heard mixed ideas on whether or not Indio Gigante chickens are good mothers / brooders. I’m always looking for a good broody hen so I’m just curious. If any of you own Indio Gigante what’s your personal experience like with broody hens?

Attached is some of the Indio Gigante chicks for your viewing pleasure
Not quite a month ago we had a fox devastate and take half of our flock. We thought our dear "Christmas", a hen, amongst the gone. This afternoon, however, my son breathlessly enters the house and orders, "Come now"! He directs me to dear Christmas, looking much worse for the wear and with her are 7 beautiful babies. Apparently Indios can be clever, broody and very maternal. We gathered everyone up, and I am currently trying to find out if they should be separated or not due to moms size and weight. BUT she and nature have gotten them this far so I am looking for advice. The chicks look to be all of a day or two old but are eating and drinking well. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• IMG-20240430-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240430-WA0000.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 8
Not quite a month ago we had a fox devastate and take half of our flock. We thought our dear "Christmas", a hen, amongst the gone. This afternoon, however, my son breathlessly enters the house and orders, "Come now"! He directs me to dear Christmas, looking much worse for the wear and with her are 7 beautiful babies. Apparently Indios can be clever, broody and very maternal. We gathered everyone up, and I am currently trying to find out if they should be separated or not due to moms size and weight. BUT she and nature have gotten them this far so I am looking for advice. The chicks look to be all of a day or two old but are eating and drinking well. Thoughts anyone?
How is the mama hen doing? Is she lethargic? Eating and drinking well? Blood anywhere?

Mom seems to be fine just a bit thinner with a few ruffled feathers. She is eating and drinking. Seemed relieved for the food and water.
Personally I’d say leave the chicks with the mama, they know how to raise their kids far better than we do in most cases. Obviously not all hens are meant to be mothers but I’d just keep an eye on her and make sure she’s doing all the things she should

That's what I had assumed. Just wasn't sure as this is my first "natural" and unplanned hatch. The Indio roo was/is the only male of what we had and what remains of our mixed flock. I guess we have been blessed and will be raising Indios.

Back
Top Bottom