Indio Gigante in the snow

ChaosKrab93

Hatching
Jan 20, 2024
I have a group of Indio hatching eggs in my incubator. (Fingers crossed that all goes well!)
How do you guys do winters with chickens from warmer climates? Do I need to make them a little sweater? I know they can have some bare spots on their bodies.
I just want to be prepared. I am so excited for this hatch and I would hate to lose them because of the cold!

I don't know. Usually not cold hardy means their combs and wattles are subject to frostbite. The way I understand the Indio Gigante they do not have much down under their feathers so the cold can affect them much more directly. That is a different situation. I do not know what their lower temperature limit is.

Where are you? How cold are you talking about? You mentioned snow so that's at least below freezing. At the least I'd make sure they had an option to get out of the wind.

Where did you get your eggs? Can they help?

I don't know. Usually not cold hardy means their combs and wattles are subject to frostbite. The way I understand the Indio Gigante they do not have much down under their feathers so the cold can affect them much more directly. That is a different situation. I do not know what their lower temperature limit is.

Where are you? How cold are you talking about? You mentioned snow so that's at least below freezing. At the least I'd make sure they had an option to get out of the wind.

Where did you get your eggs? Can they help?
I’m in southern PA, our weather is really weird. We CAN get into the negative, but it’s not often we get under the 20’s. Our run is about 1000 sq feet, and one section is fully covered so there’s definitely at least one place to get fully out of the wind. It’s definitely needed because we are right at the foot of a mountain and get some wicked wind.
I will definitely message the people I got eggs from. I’m doing my own research too, just figured I’d ask and see if someone had any direct experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom