Inducing brooding?

CoopCrazy13

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
I am thinking of letting one of my hens incubate and possibly hatch a fertile egg from a friend's farm. My hens never attempt to brood, is there any way I can provoke/induce brooding without a roo around?

I had a leghorn go broody once! This is really rare.
But I hadn't done anything to try to make her. Some hens decide to go broody, others just don't. I find that when one goes broody, the others all want to go too. They may seem more inclined if they hear baby chicks cheeping. Also, they have certain times of the year when they just all decide to go broody.
Some of the best broody breeds are OEG bantams, cochins (bantam and standard) and silkies (probably number 1!).

What breeds do you have?

Sandy, my broody leghorn

I had a leghorn go broody once! This is really rare. But I hadn't done anything to try to make her. Some hens decide to go broody, others just don't. I find that when one goes broody, the others all want to go too. They may seem more inclined if they hear baby chicks cheeping. Also, they have certain times of the year when they just all decide to go broody. Some of the best broody breeds are OEG bantams, cochins (bantam and standard) and silkies (probably number 1!). What breeds do you have? Sandy, my broody leghorn
Hmm. Never seen a while leggie before... I have ISA Browns.. and some sort of black laying hen...

I don't think Isa Browns go broody. If your black layers are Black Stars I doubt they will go broody either.
sad.png

You could try getting a broody breed (silkie, cochin, dorking, ect), or finding some one with a couple hens that went broody that they don't want. Some people want egg layers, not broodies. It is best to get two, so that the introduction is less stressful on them.

You could try getting a broody breed (silkie, cochin, dorking, ect), or finding some one with a couple hens that went broody that they don't want. Some people want egg layers, not broodies. It is best to get two, so that the introduction is less stressful on them.

Maybe I'll try that in the future.

Hey guess what!? I've got some Rhodies chicks
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
I know they go broody, that's what my buddy has.

Back
Top Bottom