Inexpensive bird netting, check it out!

Quote:
Are you serious! I did not think a hawk would attempt to get through netting did you see it happen? was it able to do it with one swoop or did it struggle ontop of the netting and tearing at it? I guess I just dont understand how it could know that it was something it could break through and how it stayed suspended while ripping it and getting through. Can you please explain more as I wanted to use a similar netting and have very smart cooper hawks. Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Where wild animals are concerned, never say never. The fact that you have Coopers hawks at all would tell me that such "inconvenience" netting will never do. All our thinking and calculation mean nothing to them. Have you seen this netting material? It is quite strong for its cross sectional size, and at first glance seems to have what it takes. But a large hawk on the wing, plummeting from any height, is a real powerhouse. Im talking steam roller here. It is how they immobilize their prey.

Hitting that netting, even if it brakes at the last minute, could mean real trouble. If it gets entangled in the stuff, odds are you can write it off. I've heard of Coopers hawks that alight, rush over and attack the chickens on the ground - without even a "How do you do?"
The chances are good that once a hawk hits that netting and tears it up, it will leave in confusion, and not bother the chickens. But, do you wanna take that chance?

If you have bold and unmolested hawks eying your 'chicken buffet', strong, visible woven netting overhead seems the better choice.

Last edited:
This is what I use and I bought mine at Lowe's on sale two years ago for less the $10 a roll.
It has worked great. The snow can wreck havoc but the trick I found to work is this. I placed cup hooks on the side of my coop to attach it to then took it to the fence part and zip tied it to the top. Leave a bit of slack in it that way when the snow sticks to it, it gives. Then wack the netting with a broom to get the snow off. Generally it is really saggy by this time and this is where the cup hooks work great. Simply take it off the hooks strecth and put back on the hooks. Make sense?

I guess I just dont understand how it could know that it was something it could break through

The most logical assumption is the hawk couldnt see it at all, so it just tore right through due to momentum.

I saw one fly right into the top of my pigeon pen, and act surprised when it hit the hardware cloth.​

I'm glad I found this thread. We are new to chickens so we are learning a lot right now. Our little chicks are only 2 weeks old. We live in an urban area (Orange county CA) and don't have very large hawks but we do have some around. Should I be worried about this. We also have 6' fence. Will the chickens be able to escape? I was thinking of getting some bird netting to prevent any problems. The area the chickens will be is between our house and the fence. Its about 20X30 area. So I was going to put the netting from the house to the fence. I would like the chickens to be able to free range in the area but not sure if we need something in keep them in and others out.

Quote:
It's better to be safe then sorry. It's inexpensive and it will keep hawks out and chickens in. It's worked for me for many year now.
As far as chickens going over a 6 foot fence, well that depends. The younger they are the more able they are to do so. Heavy breeds once mature would probably not be able to do so with out the aid of something in the coop. Light breeds like leghorns, minorca and some bantam breeds can go over a 6 foot fence with ease.

The stuff Im interested in is the netting they use for erosion control around construction sites, and along roadways. Snow fence is another use for this stuff.
It is nearly impervious, adds welcome shade and is easily seen by the aerial predators. With some scrounging, you might even be able to get it for free.

There is that heavy plastic netting...if you can call it netting. It comes in a roll at home depot and lowes. It's meant to be used on a fence to keep critters out of your yard like snakes and rabbits. I'm not sure on the pricing. I'm thinking it would be pretty heavy of you are trying to cover a large section.

we used the samed netting till the last snow storm the snow collected on the netting and torn down my post and netting made a heck of a mess. other then that it worked great.

bird netting is really very useful, it can easily be tied on your roofs with the hooks, and its also very cost effective and also result oriented.

Back
Top Bottom