Infamous TSC mystery chicks

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi all - almost 6 weeks ago I purchased several chicks, 5 being just “Wyandotte “. These two have me scratching my head, though. They were sold as Pullets, but the difference in their combs say otherwise, to
3069797D-458C-40E5-8277-D9EE89FDF0AD.jpeg
A7EBA475-ACED-4BC0-B7D2-82993EC3E90A.jpeg
me, atleast.

Could these be pencil laced Wyandottes? Or what do you see?

Thanks!
2F4EFFA2-14E1-4460-B0B2-02F763C5B4BF.jpeg
F517F5E0-A7C3-4DCE-B745-48A8F76713A2.jpeg

Could these be pencil laced Wyandottes? Or what do you see?
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.
Those birds have single combs.

The color pattern is Barred Columbian (white with black at the tail and neck and a few other places is Columbian, and these have white barrring across the feathers to break up the black into little bits.)

The most common breed that has a single comb and the barred columbian color pattern is a Delaware. I think that's what you have.

Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.
Those birds have single combs.

The color pattern is Barred Columbian (white with black at the tail and neck and a few other places is Columbian, and these have white barrring across the feathers to break up the black into little bits.)

The most common breed that has a single comb and the barred columbian color pattern is a Delaware. I think that's what you have.
Thank you! I will have to check the combs
The first one looks like a young man. 2nd one not so sure!
I agree. Rats 😕

Thank you! I will have to check the combs
The ones in the photos definitely have single combs.

It is sometimes possible for two Wyandottes with proper rose combs to produce some chicks with single combs, so sometimes there are single comb "Wyandottes." So if you have chicks that otherwise look like Wyandottes but have single combs, there is chance they are. These two were also a wrong color (Wyandottes come in many colors, including Columbian without barring, but not Barred Columbian.)

The ones in the photos definitely have single combs.

It is sometimes possible for two Wyandottes with proper rose combs to produce some chicks with single combs, so sometimes there are single comb "Wyandottes." So if you have chicks that otherwise look like Wyandottes but have single combs, there is chance they are. These two were also a wrong color (Wyandottes come in many colors, including Columbian without barring, but not Barred Columbian.)
I’m sorry, I meant to say I would check the combs of the other Wyandottes I have. I actually can’t even see them, so I definitely see the difference.
8AA85942-09D9-4B99-BBB5-28E3644C94EB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom