Infant duckling was left on my doorstep yesterday. I’m terrified because she hasn’t eaten eaten or drank since 3:00 yesterday!!

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good morning,

Yesterday we came home to find an infant duckling on our front porch in a box. Everyone knows we keep ducks.. She’s just darling and so tiny! But I’m terrified because she hasn’t eaten anything or drank since 3:00 yesterday!! I’ve tried EVERYTHING!
I drip her beak in water with electrolytes and without, I made a mush out of her food and she won’t touch it!
I managed to give her a drop of NutraDrench but that’s it.
If my daughter isn’t holding her she screams, I’m assuming it’s separation anxiety from siblings.
I know a lone duckling could die, but my youngest are 2 months old!
I’m looking everywhere for a buddy but I can’t find another duckling or even a chic!
I’m at a loss! Please help!

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 19
I would assume it's traumatized still from being left alone like that and probably cold and scared. It would help to get him another duck or chick though. We have poultry swaps here in WI where you could find a duckling his size if you have such a thing where you live.

I'm also a member in about 6 different poultry/duck groups on Facebook for our state/area. You could find a couple of those and post that you need a duckling (or if nothing else, a chick) and I bet you'll get some replies.

That duck is so darned cute. Good luck!

Good morning,

Yesterday we came home to find an infant duckling on our front porch in a box. Everyone knows we keep ducks.. She’s just darling and so tiny! But I’m terrified because she hasn’t eaten anything or drank since 3:00 yesterday!! I’ve tried EVERYTHING!
I drip her beak in water with electrolytes and without, I made a mush out of her food and she won’t touch it!
I managed to give her a drop of NutraDrench but that’s it.
If my daughter isn’t holding her she screams, I’m assuming it’s separation anxiety from siblings.
I know a lone duckling could die, but my youngest are 2 months old!
I’m looking everywhere for a buddy but I can’t find another duckling or even a chic!
I’m at a loss! Please help!

Kindly,
Amy
What happened with her?

Lovely little fluffy. So sad that it was dumped (most of my flock were dumped juvenile drakes; when I get little fluffies they have been rescued from dangerous situations in the wild and can generally be raised and released or rehomed, depending on the type of duck. Many of the recently hatched rescued little ones don't eat initially. Keeping them warm and handling gently is the main stimulant to eating. However it is important to get at least one more duckling of a similar age quickly so that you can stop frequent handling the little one and raise it as a regular duckling not a house pet. I have one that I could not get ducky companions for until he was 7 weeks old, and he still thinks he should live in the house more than 2 years later.

Back
Top Bottom