Infected foot. Swollen and hot. Need help ASAP

Mar 13, 2024
Hi! I have a duck that recently got injured. It was inside it's cage and a hook from the area it opens for stuck inside it's leg :(!! It's the 2nd day since it's happened and it's currently swollen and hot, apparently it's infected. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm a teen, I just have a pet duck and I don't know what to do. The duck is limping although he's eating well.

Attachments

• IMG_20240313_174035.jpg
    IMG_20240313_174035.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 22
your duck probably needs an antibiotic, and you can start soaking his leg in lukewarm water with epsom salt in it. but don’t let him drink the water. then apply an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin without the pain relief in it keep him inside away from the other ducks in a clean place. Can you show us actual pictures of the wound without the bandaging?
can you take him to an avian vet?
it’s hard to get antibiotics for poultry anymore without a vets prescription, but there are a couple of websites with Bird products that may have Baytril
i’ll tag a couple experts here
@Miss Lydia @Wyorp Rock

We need to see pictures of the wound. I agree with @Jenbirdee that using nice warm water and Epsom salt mixed in can help with swelling and can help heal.

here is one place where you can buy Antibiotics. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
But let us see pictures before you order.

your duck probably needs an antibiotic, and you can start soaking his leg in lukewarm water with epsom salt in it. but don’t let him drink the water. then apply an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin without the pain relief in it keep him inside away from the other ducks in a clean place. Can you show us actual pictures of the wound without the bandaging?
can you take him to an avian vet?
it’s hard to get antibiotics for poultry anymore without a vets prescription, but there are a couple of websites with Bird products that may have Baytril
i’ll tag a couple experts here
@Miss Lydia @Wyorp Rock
Hi sorry i actually cant kind the wound. i tried finding it underneath the bandaging but i really dont see it. i dont live in the city so the vets here are pretty far.

i think he's better, he has an appetite and moving.
Just keep an eye on any swelling because it can be an infection or just trauma from the initial wound injury but if it starts oozing or smells then you have an infection. I would at least soak in warm Epsom salt water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom