Infectious Bronchitis?

Winchikn

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Slocan Valley, British Columbia
Hello,

I think my flock has infectious bronchitis and I lost a hen this morning and want to support the others as best I can. There has been some mild sneezing over the last 2-3 weeks and some soft-shelled and shell-less eggs. My older hens (4 years this summer) seem to be mostly recovered (though my roo is hanging onto his sneeze), while my younger hens (2 years this summer) are having a harder time. Total flock size is now 11 - mixed breeds including Caramel Queens, Light Sussex, Buff Orp, Buff Chantecler, Ameraucana/EE, and Production Reds.

The hen that died (a 2 yr old and our only Rhodebar) has never been very strong and has struggled with roundworm overload unlike anyone else in the flock. She was dewormed earlier in the spring and has been passing eggy substance with no shell every 4-5 days for a few weeks. I'm pretty sure complications related to that overwhelmed her system this morning (EYP?). She seemed fine yesterday but deteriorated very rapidly after I got them up this morning, and her rear abdomen felt full and soft.

Later today, a production red of the same age passed this weird thing - definitely out of her reproductive tract:

IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3537.jpg

Wondering if this all sounds like IB or if I need to worry about anything else?

If IB, I understand vitamins/electrolytes, careful cleaning (which I've already been doing), and waiting out the virus are about the best I can do?
Is there anything I can do to help the egg issues resolve?

Side note that it has been unseasonably hot here in BC/Western Canada the last week...

Thanks.

Last edited:
It well could be infectious bronchitis, especially if it has gone completely through your whole flock. My flock dealt with what I believe was IB, and each bird had sneezing symptoms for about a month. They remain carriers for at least months after recovering, so it is best not to add or hatch any new chickens for a year. Egg shell problems including wrinkled egg shells, soft shell eggs, and others are common. Antibiotics do not help IB, but might help if a secondary infection happens. I would offer any hen who has the odd eggs or soft shells some extra human calcium with vitamin D3 for a few days. Layer feed plus crushed oyster shell for free taking is needed. Hopefully, they will get through this. You can get a necropsy on a hen who dies to confirm the disease.

It well could be infectious bronchitis, especially if it has gone completely through your whole flock. My flock dealt with what I believe was IB, and each bird had sneezing symptoms for about a month. They remain carriers for at least months after recovering, so it is best not to add or hatch any new chickens for a year. Egg shell problems including wrinkled egg shells, soft shell eggs, and others are common. Antibiotics do not help IB, but might help if a secondary infection happens. I would offer any hen who has the odd eggs or soft shells some extra human calcium with vitamin D3 for a few days. Layer feed plus crushed oyster shell for free taking is needed. Hopefully, they will get through this. You can get a necropsy on a hen who dies to confirm the disease.
Thank you for the confirmation.

For the calcium, can I use Tums, and what dose for it and the Vitamin D3?

They are on 18% layer pellet and have free choice oyster shell and another calcium supplement, none of which they seem to eat much of. I also give BOS to help with calcium.

Thanks again.

I see that calcium citrate with D3 is the way to go. I'll pick some up in town tomorrow and give my hens who seem to be having trouble one tab each for 3 days and hope the egg issues resolve - and that my rooster will finally get over the IB.

Calcium citrate is the fastest absorbed, but other calcium is okay if that is what you have. The d3 helps. Dosage should be about 600 mg daily for up to a week to see if it helps, and only give it to hens who have had the soft eggs. I think IB can be hard to test for, although it would be good to actually get a diagnosis if possible. My flock had a lot of hens with reproductive problems and that were probably related to their exposure of IB. There is a vaccine available, although your flock is mostly already exposed:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...LqcCcX9KNSu71ow8iRjpbMJ52s9bRxfRoCozYQAvD_BwE

Calcium citrate is the fastest absorbed, but other calcium is okay if that is what you have. The d3 helps. Dosage should be about 600 mg daily for up to a week to see if it helps, and only give it to hens who have had the soft eggs. I think IB can be hard to test for, although it would be good to actually get a diagnosis if possible. My flock had a lot of hens with reproductive problems and that were probably related to their exposure of IB. There is a vaccine available, although your flock is mostly already exposed:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...LqcCcX9KNSu71ow8iRjpbMJ52s9bRxfRoCozYQAvD_BwE
Thanks.

There is no one in my area who will see chickens so I don't think I can get a diagnosis? I just confirmed that all of my chickens would have been vaccinated against IB, but I understand it evolves like any virus so maybe this is a new strain.

The hen who's reproductive issues I posted the photo of at the start of this thread is still having issues this morning. I think slow crop (it's soft, not hard) and she's still trying to pass something egg-like. Maybe the crop issues are being caused by the reproductive tract issues?

I got a Tums covered in coconut oil in her this morning and will get the citrate today and dose all the troubled hens tonight.

I have a feeling the sudden 90 degree temps for the last week aren't helping anything.

Thanks again. This lab is 7 hours from my home and unfortunately my dead chicken has been underground for 2 days now.

I'll proceed as best I can in the absence of a diagnosis. Our local vet used to do chickens but quit a couple of years ago.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if it is Infectious bronchitis in my girl, as neither of my girls have had any indications of illness (sneezing, coughing, lethargy, droopy combs, etc.,) I have dealt with the oddly wrinkled egg off and on since they started laying. They are now going on 3 years old (in July) and one of my girls has not laid anything since November (they went into a molt in October/November). The girl in question today has been my very consistent layer since she was 17 weeks old (near daily laying even through the winter). She began laying again after her winter break this year (in January). Since then she has had several soft shelled eggs (I gave her Calcium citrate +D for a few days) then she would go several days without laying and then a normal egg and then the cycle would repeat... her poop has been kind of "slimey" (pic) off and on. A IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1451.JPG nd yesterday she left a long blob of gelatinous stuff (that looked like it may have just been an albumin filled membrane (sorry didn't get a pic). I have not noted any worms or parasites in their poop ever.
but last fall she did have a soft shelled egg that apparently broke inside her as I found her with just the shell/membrane portion hanging out of her vent. I immediately started her on some herbal decoctions to treat/prevent infection and inflammation, cleaned her up and she seemed to be fine afterwards. Anyway, long story short, I just want to make sure my girl is okay. Her sister is doing fine (other than not laying since November) They are both running around, eating, drinking, scratching and playing as usual. Please advise if this is something I should be concerned about or if this is within normal aging processes. Thank you in advance.

@Brenda Jones, it would be best if you could copy and paste your post and start a new thread of your own so we don’t get confused about giving advice. Here is where to start a new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread

Your hen definitely sounds like she is having problems with her oviduct she’ll gland or suffering from salpingitis. These shell problems can cause infection in the egg tract, especially when an egg has broken inside. They can start laying internally as well if the egg changes direction.

Back
Top Bottom