Infertile Rooster Issues, Please help.

It would help if we had at least a general location to give better advice but here goes.
How old are they and what breed?
What are they being feed including treats?
Are they mounting the hens?
It may be a season thing, Roosters molt just like hens do, add in they were moved , I would give them a bit of time to adjust. My rooster about a week before he starts molting the fertility drops and doesn't start acting like a rooster mating crowing etc until he is almost finished with his molt.
My hens are also very discriminatory, if they don't like the color or the rooster they won't let the rooster near them to mate with them.

One rooster I rehomed cause hens kept running him off, and after 2 weeks he still was ostercized from them, brought in on colored more like them and they almost immediately started ok we like him lets hatch out chicks.
Brought in some Rhode Island white chicks and they ended up half pullets half cockerels, they were raised together and the patient cockerel as roosters tend to mature 2 months ahead of the pullets by day 2 of them laying was fertilizing the eggs and hatched out chicks. but at same time the adult rooster was going into molt and the main flocks fertility was 1 outta 12.
light sussex breed and i feed all my chickens a mixture of cracked corn and pearl millet/bulrush millet and sunflower seeds mostly. And yes the rooster is mounting then hens

light sussex breed and i feed all my chickens a mixture of cracked corn and pearl millet/bulrush millet and sunflower seeds mostly. And yes the rooster is mounting then hens

they are not getting enough nutrient from the feed .
what are giving them is more of a treat not a base ration .
feed them a layer feed with some added Vitamin B12 . you can .give them Seaweed meal .
I give mine. breeder feed 80% of the ration .Ones a week I give them a home made feed . germinated wheat grain + Fish cat food can .yougurt ,old milk . seaweed powder, Diatomaceous earth .all mixed with some layer feed over night or 2 . they love it and help them a lot .
this feed will cover they extra needs for a week ,when breeding .

chooks man

light sussex breed and i feed all my chickens a mixture of cracked corn and pearl millet/bulrush millet and sunflower seeds mostly
Nutrition is very likely your issue... not only for your rooster but your hens... likely don't have enough nutrient to support embryo development.

Dual purpose breeds like your will do best with not less than 18% protein... 20% is better IMO...

Going with a formulated chicken ration such as Purina flock raiser with oyster shell on the side... even though it may be made from mostly corn, wheat, or other grains... has the vitamins, minerals, and importantly the amino acids added in. I personally never feed layer as I don't like the added calcium or the diminished protein it contains comparatively... for MY flock. Too much time and money invested to be feeding my roosters something that *MIGHT* (not will) cause kidney issues including gout and even failure or sudden death... even though I DO believe that is partly genetic and enhanced by excess treats or dehydration and more likely in confined birds.

I'd be curious to see the difference, after putting your birds on a proper diet for about 3 weeks before collecting! :pop

At the very least... if you're gonna stick with current feed routine... I would consider using something like Rooster Booster (brand) Poulty Cell (product)...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NS0DWW/?tag=backy-20

:fl

Diatomaceous earth
WHY???? If it doesn't work to remove parasites when wet, what is the purpose of adding it? :confused:

does go through they dropping .keeping they bedding and the area around them safe .
I have been using it for a hole year this time with my new flock ,nothing else ,my chooks are they live free ranging in the orchid. they don t have any parasitic problem .

for me does work .if some thing work for me I keep doing it. I know what work for me .
chooks man

for me does work .if some thing work for me I keep doing it. I know what work for me .
I never use it... don't have parasitic problems... and have fecal floats ran by a professional to check load and ensure the right thing gets used... which has NOT been needed yet at my location with my stock density, etc.

Without testing both before and after... it's simply a false sense of security to me... with regards to internal parasites. Even the package says it doesn't work when wet.... as in inside the intestines.

Many birds will carry some parasitic load and it may never be found out. Healthy birds with proper nutrition have a far easier time fighting these things off and keeping them in check.

I can appreciate that you have no symptoms... and ask, sincerely... if you are using DE to treat internal parasite load... and it is working for you... PLEASE have before and after fecal floats done and share the scientific results... Stop the neighsayers like myself! I simply want proof and not assumption since most species will NEVER be seen in droppings. :pop :fl

I never use it... don't have parasitic problems... and have fecal floats ran by a professional to check load and ensure the right thing gets used... which has NOT been needed yet at my location with my stock density, etc.

Without testing both before and after... it's simply a false sense of security to me... with regards to internal parasites. Even the package says it doesn't work when wet.... as in inside the intestines.

Many birds will carry some parasitic load and it may never be found out. Healthy birds with proper nutrition have a far easier time fighting these things off and keeping them in check.

I can appreciate that you have no symptoms... and ask, sincerely... if you are using DE to treat internal parasite load... and it is working for you... PLEASE have before and after fecal floats done and share the scientific results... Stop the neighsayers like myself! I simply want proof and not assumption since most species will NEVER be seen in droppings. :pop :fl

your way is working for .good for you .
my way is working for me ,good for me , we don t need to prof nothing to each other ,

the topping was .a person has a problem with fertility ,so I gave my opinion .
what I talking about is just a treat one s a weeks .to boost they system .my chooks they have showbird breeder pellets 18% protein as they main feed . have no parasitic problem .no health issue ,just happy healthy chooks running free in the fruit forest .like a wild chooks ,

keep doing what is working for you .

chooks man

your way is working for .good for you .
my way is working for me ,good for me , we don t need to prof nothing to each other ,
I understand, and we are on the same page! I agree what works for some may not work for others... and I'm not asking you to prove anything to me... I'm just trying to get folks who use alternative methods... to put some scientific numbers behind their claims... to help the entire community. I understand if that's not what you are willing to do.

I mean I can't help but wonder if you simply don't have parasite issues in the first place and it works well because it's fighting off nothing. :confused:

I'm not questioning your personal practice... just asking simply... for actual numbers... again to help the community not to prove anything to me. I would have my own tests run... but so far, no need to treat, so my information would be irrelevant.

I'm not like many people... I'm not trying to prove myself right. I'm looking for answers... EVEN if they don't line up with my current way of thinking. I am here to learn. So far... NOT ONE person will get test and report numbers... even when I offer to help cover the cost. Why are folks so resistant?! :pop

You are correct, the OP was about infertility questions... and no way is DE in feed going to improve that, according to my experience and understanding. WHAT does DE allegedly do to boost their system?

Anyways, best wishes to you also! Thanks for sharing. :highfive:

they are not getting enough nutrient from the feed .
what are giving them is more of a treat not a base ration .
feed them a layer feed with some added Vitamin B12 . you can .give them Seaweed meal .
I give mine. breeder feed 80% of the ration .Ones a week I give them a home made feed . germinated wheat grain + Fish cat food can .yougurt ,old milk . seaweed powder, Diatomaceous earth .all mixed with some layer feed over night or 2 . they love it and help them a lot .
this feed will cover they extra needs for a week ,when breeding .

chooks man

That what I give them one s a week .not just DE . DE is part of the mix .the mix is just treat .

I want to ask you a simple question = Do you know parmaculture practice?

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom