Information sheet to give egg buyers...

fhdogs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Southern Vermont
I couldn't really figure out which forum to put this in, so mods please feel free to move as appropriate....

Even though I'm still a few months out from starting to sell eggs, I'm already fielding many questions from people about my eggs and chickens. Things like are they organic, free range, how long will they stay fresh, brown vs. white, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has produced a "fact sheet" about backyard eggs that can be reprinted for egg buyers.

I'm thinking about putting something together that I can have available next to my fridge at the coop. (honor system) I think the most common questions I get are if they are "organic", and "free range".

If there isn't something already, and you have any ideas for what should be included, please let me know. I may even be able to make a simple form where "backyard sellers" can select options, and create their own custom information sheet.

Would you be interested in that?

I don't know if anyone has a fact sheet available online, I bet someone on here has made one, though.

The form idea sounds great! I'm sure there are many egg sellers who would appreciate having an F.A.Q. collection available.

pop.gif

What counts as organic? I free-range my hens, but I also give them lay crumble. How do you know if your lay crumble is organic? How do you know if anything you give them that came from an outside source is organic? Does anyone know the rules about this, as relating to selling eggs labeled organic? Are they stringent or not?

Wow, guess I'm only adding to the puzzle! I sell our eggs, that's why I ask...

pop.gif

Quote:
I dont' think you can label anything for sale as "organic" unless you have undergone the organic certification process. And since the food the hens eat is not labled organic, I don't think the eggs would be considered organic in any case.

USDA has very stringent standards for labeling organic. For small operations (something like <$12,000/year, but that number is off the top of my head, it's been awhile since I checked) inspection is not required. Even if not organic, labeling requirements are very specific. You can find the information on the USDA website.

What counts as organic? I free-range my hens, but I also give them lay crumble. How do you know if your lay crumble is organic? How do you know if anything you give them that came from an outside source is organic? Does anyone know the rules about this, as relating to selling eggs labeled organic? Are they stringent or not?

Wow, guess I'm only adding to the puzzle! I sell our eggs, that's why I ask...

This is exactly why I want a sheet like this. Although I use the best practices I can, my eggs, and most BYCer's are not 100% organic. The rules are so stringent, there is lots of record keeping required, that organic certification isn't really practical. (I hate to break it to everyone, but your eggs are most likely not 100% organic.)

My neighbor labels his eggs organic, but I know he uses the same feed I do. It's local, it's good quality, antibiotic free, but it's not organic. So I'd like something that explains that so I can be honest with customers.​

To call your eggs "organic" you have to have been feeding the chicks with organic feed from the first day. The parent birds don't have to be "organic" so you can order from a hatchery. There are several companies which make the feed. It usually costs about twice as much as non organic. Mine costs $26 per 50 lb bag retail but I get it for $16 wholesale. If you are selling eggs you can qualify for wholesale treatment but you have to order an entire pallet. You can split that with others if it's too much for you.

If you are going to free range the chickens, the area they are on also needs to have been free from the application of any "prohibited" substances for at least three years. That includes, for example, Round Up, or chemical fertilizers.

Also no antibiotics or hormones. I am not sure about vaccinations.

For "free range" anything time that is spent is outside of the coop really applies, even if it is in a run. This includes mobile chicken pens that you move around. If you are going to keep the chickens in a run, I would suggest that you feed them weeds and grass on a regular basis. It will color the yolks. Again, the greens you feed them have to come from an area that has not been treated with prohibited chemicals for three years.

You can add the "heritage" moniker if you are using the older duel purpose breeds like Rocks, Reds, Orpingtons, Wyandotes, Dominiques, Javas, etc.

In our area, eggs that are "organic", "free range" and "heritage sell for $5/doz retail, $3.50 wholesale.

If you sell under $5000/yr gross from your entire operation (including produce sales if you do that), you can officially claim that you are "certified organic" without the reporting and inspection requirements so long as you follow USDA guidelines, and go through a certifier. There are also other forms of certification such as "certified naturally grown" which basically eliminates all of the red tape and reporting requirements. The other CNG growers in your area do an inspection once a year and you also inspect one of their facilities.

As to egg color, that will depend on the breed of chicken. The English and American breeds are all brown egg layers. Check the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy website for a list of the "heritage" breeds.

Well, that answers that question.

Now back to the form...
I had been planning on not giving a form, but having photos of my hens on a large display page, sort of like a poster, and I could show the buyer the hens the egg came from. Especially good if the hen is pictured in nice grass, not dirt, absolutely not cage or coop.

Maybe you could do something similar, and have a list of her feeds and supplements at the bottom of the page.

And the 'title' could be "Free Range Eggs".

I know several BYCers have made a flier of sorts, with pictures of the chickens, info about their breeds, egg info and such. I think it's a great idea to give people a FAQ sheet.

I haven't done one, but am quite interested also.

Back
Top Bottom