Ingrown Feather "Bursting" Question

kfsilver

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I have an eight year-old hen who has what appears to be an ingrown feather on her saddle feathers area. She is a stress-plucker, so no doubt that has caused the issue (she *really* doesn't like temperature changes). My question is: how is it best to "burst" the feather?

I have small sterile razors I initially purchased for bumblefoot situations, but I also have needles I can use (would run them through a flame first). This hen is extremely easy to handle, so that isn't a concern, I would just appreciate knowing what others have found works better for ingrown feathers and why, as this is my first experience.

So far, I have been watching the area and spraying with Vetericyn every day (again, this hen is extremely easy to handle).

Do you have photos?

For me, I'd use whatever method seemed to work best, you may find that working the ingrown feather loose with a needle may work, then you can pluck it out with tweezers or pliers. Once out, of course clean out the pocket, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn and monitor like you have been doing.

Do you have photos?

For me, I'd use whatever method seemed to work best, you may find that working the ingrown feather loose with a needle may work, then you can pluck it out with tweezers or pliers. Once out, of course clean out the pocket, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn and monitor like you have been doing.
Thank your for the response! I'll grab some photos in a couple hours, when my hens wake. I definitely want to make certain I am treating the right thing (can never be too careful).

Do you have photos?

Hopefully these photos work. It looks like it might have been partially opened already, but I don't know if it was from me maybe being more rough than I thought examining it yesterday, or from her pecking herself. :( I might get her chicken saddle on, just in case.

Attachments

• 20230516_072717.jpg
    20230516_072717.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230516_070929.jpg
    20230516_070929.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 72
She has always stress plucked, but if it was her that broke the skin this would be the first time for her to do that. But this is also the first time she has stress plucked so much, and had an ingrown feather.

Her stress plucking generally happens when the weather gets drastically warmer (like going from spring quickly into summer like it has this year, or a heat wave) or when she begins molting and her feathers are looking rough.

She is also going broody, but I hesitate to say that's the cause, because she has always gone broody multiple times per year throughout her life, and hasn't plucked her feathers out so much before.

You don't see any lice or mites on her?

Could be she's just stressed or hormones. I'd think about giving her extra protein a few times a week - a little treat of egg, fish (sardines/mackerel/tuna) or meat. And I'd also try a little vitamin therapy for a several weeks to see if it helps. Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. See if the b vitamins make any difference at all.

Back
Top Bottom