Injectable niacin?

There is an injectable. If you feel comfortable doing it that way. This info will show you what's available. I know TSC carries one but if you are not close to one but have other feed stores start calling and ask them what they have.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

this info will show you how to give an injection
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-supportive-care-updated-01-17-2021.1048620/
I hope your duck will recover. :fl
I have one near me. I'm comfortable with injections.

I have one near me. I'm comfortable with injections.

Injections can be hard with ducks due to the large amount of down on their body.
If you do wish to inject the medication rather than provide it orally, I find SubQ the quickest.
The interscapular region which is located on the bird's back, between the shoulder is a suitable location. Before injecting, the area may need to be plucked slightly, and wet down. Tent the skin, insert the needle ( 20 gauge will work) halfway, and depress the plunger.

Injections can be hard with ducks due to the large amount of down on their body.
If you do wish to inject the medication rather than provide it orally, I find SubQ the quickest.
The interscapular region which is located on the bird's back, between the shoulder is a suitable location. Before injecting, the area may need to be plucked slightly, and wet down. Tent the skin, insert the needle ( 20 gauge will work) halfway, and depress the plunger.
Hi Isaac,
I was instructed to inject in breast muscle. That's where I have done it today. Is that suitable? I used a 22g as that is what I had on hand and had no issues.

Hi Isaac,
I was instructed to inject in breast muscle. That's where I have done it today. Is that suitable? I used a 22g as that is what I had on hand and had no issues.
I find it easier to give medications SQ on the back, rather than having to, oftentimes awkwardly position the bird so I can stick the needle in the breastplate for IM injection.
That is the reason I suggested SQ, but if you were able to give it with ease, you might just stick with that route.
A 22 gauge needle would also be fine for injection.

@baileyf Did the injection help? I have a great Pekin that can't stand. He uses his wings and tires but, it's almost as though he's forgotten how to use his legs. Rolls back on the knee/elbow. Been putting brewer's yeast in with the non-gmo chicken starter feed since hatchlings - but he's the only one with these issues.

@baileyf Did the injection help? I have a great Pekin that can't stand. He uses his wings and tires but, it's almost as though he's forgotten how to use his legs. Rolls back on the knee/elbow. Been putting brewer's yeast in with the non-gmo chicken starter feed since hatchlings - but he's the only one with these issues.
@erkme73 , if available, and an evaluation by a vet experienced with birds may be the best route. Leg issues are very common in Pekins and quickly become irreversible after the bird passes eight/ten weeks of age.
Leg issues most commonly arise due to a niacin deficit diet; many brewers' yeast brands do not contain adequate niacin, so even when used in conjunction with a chick starter is still not sufficient.
It would probably be best to start the bird on a high niacin supplement immediately and work at providing plenty of bathing time, and soft grounds to reduce the chance of bone damage, and infection.

@erkme73 , if available, and an evaluation by a vet experienced with birds may be the best route. Leg issues are very common in Pekins and quickly become irreversible after the bird passes eight/ten weeks of age.
Leg issues most commonly arise due to a niacin deficit diet; many brewers' yeast brands do not contain adequate niacin, so even when used in conjunction with a chick starter is still not sufficient.
It would probably be best to start the bird on a high niacin supplement immediately and work at providing plenty of bathing time, and soft grounds to reduce the chance of bone damage, and infection.
Thanks for the info Isaac. The duck is pushing 12 weeks old this week, and started showing symptoms about 10 days ago. All the other ducks - including another Pekin - are symptom free. Since he's separated, I've loaded up his water with this stuff:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutri-drench-poultry-4-oz?cm_vc=-10005

I put half ounce in a quart waterer and he drank the whole thing (minus the 50% he wears and sprays everywhere) last night. I refilled it this AM. I've been giving him a 10-15 min warm water bath every day for the last week to help get his legs moving. I noticed more movement today than ever before, so I really am hoping it was just the deficit.

Good to know that brewer's yeast may not contain any/enough niacin. That's the only supplement we've been giving all of them.

I initially contact the only three vets around our area (within a 1hr radius) and they all said they don't do exotics, so my options are limited.

I put half ounce in a quart waterer and he drank the whole thing (minus the 50% he wears and sprays everywhere) last night. I refilled it this AM. I've been giving him a 10-15 min warm water bath every day for the last week to help get his legs moving. I noticed more movement today than ever before, so I really am hoping it was just the deficit.
I would discontinue the Nutri-dench for the reason that the niacin content is not listed on the bottle so we have no idea the amount the duck is actually receiving. To worsen matters, ducks spill most of their water so he may only be receiving half of what you're putting in the water.
You would be better off using plain niacin capsules, or vitamin B complex at your feed store:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex
The latter can be given orally, or treats, at a rate of 1ml a day.

Back
Top Bottom