Injecting Pen-G in the neck

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I know I've asked a million Pen-G questions, but I think I have the dosage figured out now - but I have another question I am hoping someone can answer.

Can Pen-G be injected into the skin on the back of the neck? Just lift the skin, insert needle just a little, and inject, right? I've never injected a chicken for anything and I think it would be easier for me to handle the chicken if injecting into the back of the neck, rather than into the breast. My husband will help, but he's gets pretty whoozy over stuff like this. I think I could do it by myself if I can inject into the back of the neck.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Penny

Really, it is not hard to inject into the breast muscle, staying away from the bone. And that is the preferred location for penicillin injections, I think. I remember Tylan can be injected as you described, but Tylan is for respiratory illness, so maybe that makes a difference.

I was afraid you'd say that. I've read so many posts from people who said their chicken jumped when the needle went in. I was hoping I could put it in his neck and could do it by myself.

OK, thanks for the info, SpeckledHen. I'll get my husband to help me and look away ;-)

Penny

Thanks, SpeckledHen. I'll get my husband to help the first time or two until I know how the roo is going to react. I really appreciate your help!

Penny

I've always had good luck injecting into the thigh muscle. I've never had the bird flinch if using a fine gauge needle.

There is so little muscle in the neck and it is so close to the bone that you would be injecting into the subcutaneous tissue if you did that. You do not want to do that with penicillin. Really. Use the breast, or the largest mass of muscle you can feel on the outside of the thigh. I would only use the thigh if I were treating an injury on the breast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Outside of the thigh.
I've even squirted alittle of the Pen-G right into the wound before giving a shot. That's what I was told to do and it helped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom