Injured Bantam

Dieseldog

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Western Massachusetts
My 5 month old Mille Fleur bantam hen is hurt. My best guess is that one of my Orpington hens jumped off her roost and landed on her. When she tries to walk, she lifts her leg real high. Both legs seem to go out to the side. We looked for swelling and felt for a disconnected tendon but felt no problem. She is eating and drinking but does not move around much at all. We brought her into the house and is in a dog kennel. Hope we can save this cutie.

My 5 month old Mille Fleur bantam hen is hurt. My best guess is that one of my Orpington hens jumped off her roost and landed on her. When she tries to walk, she lifts her leg real high. Both legs seem to go out to the side. We looked for swelling and felt for a disconnected tendon but felt no problem. She is eating and drinking but does not move around much at all. We brought her into the house and is in a dog kennel. Hope we can save this cutie. Good question @sourland

@Dieseldog can you post some photos of her - especially how the legs go out to the side or a video of her movements may be helpful.
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Has she started laying eggs yet?
Has your flock had any history of respiratory illness?

There can be many reason for having a hard time walking - injury, vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency, diseases like Marek's or some type of laying issue.

Provide her with some extra B vitamins, one that has B2 (Riboflavin). You can use poultry vitamins, infants/childrens poly-vi-sol (no iron) or human B-Complex vitamins (no iron).

Back
Top Bottom