Injured chick being rejected by momma...

labelcherky

Chirping
Sep 10, 2015
I pulled a 4 week old chicks out of my toy poodle's mouth this morning. Luckily the poodle is so old he has no teeth, so there are no punctures or obvious bites. The chick can stand up and I treated for shock with electrolytes. I tried putting it back in with momma but she completely ignored it and then pecked it hard in the head. So I've got the chick inside under heat and am giving electolytes. What else can I do for her? If she lives will I have to finish raising her alone?
Thanks for any advice.

How many chicks are in the brood, and are they still sleeping under the hen? If so, you might try putting the chick back under her tonight, and be out at dawn tomorrow to make sure she is not attacking the chick. Of course, if the chick is peeping or too weak to walk around, you will probably need to keep it separated. How warm is your climate now? If there are enough chicks, you could put one of them in with the injured chick for company. I really hate it when there is an only chick by itself, because they tend to be a loner from then on. Let us know how it is tomorrow.

How many chicks are in the brood, and are they still sleeping under the hen? If so, you might try putting the chick back under her tonight, and be out at dawn tomorrow to make sure she is not attacking the chick. Of course, if the chick is peeping or too weak to walk around, you will probably need to keep it separated. How warm is your climate now? If there are enough chicks, you could put one of them in with the injured chick for company. I really hate it when there is an only chick by itself, because they tend to be a loner from then on. Let us know how it is tomorrow.

There were only two chicks and one was already dead when I realized the dog was out. So either way it's going to be a singleton.

I have had them in a grow out pen with momma. It should be about 60 degrees tonight.

Last edited:
Update: put the chick back with momma and she settled right in. Doing fine today. Thank you for the advice Eggcessive.

Back
Top Bottom