Injured chick! Help!

I will make sure to buy some blu-kote before attempting it. Do you think the other chicks will pick on her, if mom accepts her? She is kinda freaky looking! Lol
If you spray with blu-kote---do not spray it all over the 'feathers" be careful to spray just the skin. We do not know---what will happen---and I would not put her back if there was blood, raw meat, etc. If feathers is all that's missing I would have to try it.

Iodine or BluKote may darken the skin well enough to hide the wound and prevent pecking. I would probably give it another try to slip it under the broody early in the am as PDR suggested. Stay close, and make sure she doesn't attack it. The feathers should grow back in quickly. If you cannot get the chick back with the broody, I would consider bringing in at least one or all of the chicks to a brooder. But broodies do such a better job of raising them. Chicks can get hurt if they get away from the broody, especially at first. I usually keep mine in a large dog crate for the first 3 days until mama is ready to take them out with her. Usually by then, she will kick some butt if the others come near her chicks. Good luck.

If you spray with blu-kote---do not spray it all over the 'feathers" be careful to spray just the skin. We do not know---what will happen---and I would not put her back if there was blood, raw meat, etc. If feathers is all that's missing I would have to try it.
It's definitely raw meat but isn't bloody or seeping anymore. I might try to clean her up over the weekend and see how she looks. I'd hate to miss the window of opportunity to put her back and be accepted. But I'd hate even more for something else to happen to her.

Iodine or BluKote may darken the skin well enough to hide the wound and prevent pecking. I would probably give it another try to slip it under the broody early in the am as PDR suggested. Stay close, and make sure she doesn't attack it. The feathers should grow back in quickly. If you cannot get the chick back with the broody, I would consider bringing in at least one or all of the chicks to a brooder. But broodies do such a better job of raising them. Chicks can get hurt if they get away from the broody, especially at first. I usually keep mine in a large dog crate for the first 3 days until mama is ready to take them out with her. Usually by then, she will kick some butt if the others come near her chicks. Good luck.
I did that! I had them secluded until the last chick hatched was 3-4 days old. I researched a lot on this subject and most everything I read said that it was best to integrate them into the flock early on and that momma hen would protect them. Momma left 2 babies in the nest box unprotected though

Back
Top Bottom