Injured Chick- please help

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello all, I have a 1 day old baby button quail with a leg injury. I had a staggered hatch and with only 3 eggs left in the incubator, one of the cats decided this morning it was high time to send the whole thing crashing to the floor (along with my mother's laptop..) The crash woke me up and I thought the eggs had all been crushed in the wreckage, but while cleaning, I found a chick miraculously alive and seemingly fine and chirpy. Took me about an hour to notice the cut on it's leg...

The chick is alert, almost sprightly and can put weight on the leg, though typically holds it close to it's body. I've cleaned the wound with betadine and triple antibiotic and gave the chick electrolytes, but the swelling and color are a bit disturbing. Is there anything I can give to reduce the swelling or prevent sepsis?

1706403207375.png

1706403222779.png

Does anyone know if meloxicam is safe for chicks/quail?

I don’t know about meloxicam. I hope another member has input concerning using it. I’ve raised them for several years and currently have 22. I can ONLY share with you how I’VE handled foot/leg issues. I clean the injury, apply triple antibiotic, place the quail in its own clean space (paper towels and/or piddle pads) with a flockmate, and clean the wound 3 times a day. They‘ve always healed fine. Since this is a hatchling, it should do well in the brooder, as long as the wound stays clean and isn’t targeted by other chicks (they sometimes like picking at each others feet). That’s really important. If it’s eating and drinking, and can get around, it’ll probably heal well. Wow! Such a tiny miracle to survive that. ❤️ If any other members have more experience, I hope they’ll share what works for them. It sounds like you are handling the injury fine. 😊

clean the injury, apply triple antibiotic, place the quail in its own clean space (paper towels and/or piddle pads) with a flockmate, and clean the wound 3 times a day. They‘ve always healed fine. Since this is a hatchling, it should do well in the brooder, as long as the wound stays clean and isn’t targeted by other chicks (they sometimes like picking at each others feet). That’s really important. If it’s eating and drinking, and can get around, it’ll probably heal well. Wow! Such a tiny miracle to survive that. ❤️ If any other members have more experience, I hope they’ll share what works for them. It sounds like you are handling the injury fine. 😊
Thank you so much for responding! Yes, I'll do that... thank you! 💛
I don’t know about meloxicam. I hope another member has input concerning using it.
Thank you. I've given meloxican to my adult coturnix quail before (and chickens), but I just don't know if it's safe for chicks. :(

Thank you so much for responding! Yes, I'll do that... thank you! 💛

Thank you. I've given meloxican to my adult coturnix quail before (and chickens), but I just don't know if it's safe for chicks. :(
They’re such teeny tiny babies! It’s difficult seeing injury. Please keep us updated. Will love to know how the baby’s doing. ❤️ Photos are ALWAYS appreciated. 😊

I would not give meloxicam to a just hatched Quail chick.

Follow the advice already given about caring for the leg. Just keep it cleaned, apply your ointment and keep her on clean dry bedding.

And watch that she stays out of trouble. Quail chicks have a way of getting themselves into predicaments or that's been my experience, they can suicide themselves pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom