Injured Chicken - Right Side Seems Paralyzed

missesball

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
Hi, We have a 24 week old Buff Orpington and about 2 weeks ago she started limping on her right side. The lady we purchased her from was kind enough to come over and look at her. She did a full examination (she's not a doctor but she has thousands of chickens and has been in the business for years) and she believed she just pulled a muscle. She suggested if it gets worse to separate her. Since the others were pecking at her we separated her about a week ago. She's been very immobile but still seemed to move around and was eating and drinking regularly. Today we found her face down in the back of her mini coop and she couldn't even lift her head up. We took her out of the box and she fell forward when we put her down. I have a video that I just took and she is eating. But she's also covered on her backside in poo now since she really hasn't been moving. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0.jpg

A pulled muscle or strained/sprained leg is certainly one possiblity. Definitely isolate her from the other birds, and put some feed and water in easy reach. Give some vitamins and electrolytes, too.

However, the way your bird is sitting and the symptoms do sound somewhat like Marek's Disease. Marek's is a viral disease that causes paralysis of the wings/legs of a bird. Unfortunately, there is no treatment. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's? Marek's Disease is prevalent nearly everywhere. Some birds are resistant, and some aren't.

No I don't believe she was vaccinated, I will have to ask. I got her as a 10 week old pullet. Now that I'm looking at the symptoms for Marek's I think that could be it. She is separated but I have her box facing the other coop (trying to keep her comfortable) the other girls all seem great. I did add electrolytes to her water right away and she was eating up until today when I had to put it right in front of her.

Back
Top Bottom