Injured duck

Wallarobba Ali

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hunter Valley, NSW Australia
Hi All,
One of my poor drakes was attacked by a goanna (very large lizard- 6 foot) yesterday. I have taken him to the vet and we have isolated him inside and are applying ointment and antibacterial spray, twice daily.
He was mainly injured under his wing. Couldn’t stitch as the wound are quite wide.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with bandaging a duck wing?
I’d like him to spend some time outside with the flock, but as it’s midsummer here in Australia so the flies are horrible, I don’t want him fly blown.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1163C9D5-912B-4C97-BA8A-F4C4F2EFA74A.jpeg
    1163C9D5-912B-4C97-BA8A-F4C4F2EFA74A.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 15
  • C615128A-467B-4E41-8CAD-849415A6908B.jpeg
    C615128A-467B-4E41-8CAD-849415A6908B.jpeg
    627 KB · Views: 7
Hi All,
One of my poor drakes was attacked by a goanna (very large lizard- 6 foot) yesterday. I have taken him to the vet and we have isolated him inside and are applying ointment and antibacterial spray, twice daily.
He was mainly injured under his wing. Couldn’t stitch as the wound are quite wide.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with bandaging a duck wing?
I’d like him to spend some time outside with the flock, but as it’s midsummer here in Australia so the flies are horrible, I don’t want him fly blown.
Thanks
Poor baby, what a lot of blood. Does he have other wounds as well as under the wing? Have they been washed?
I'm not sure how best to bandage, but I believe it may be best to leave it open to the air.

Due to heat and flies, I would 100% keep him indoors. I think being outside would be very risky- and he needs to be separate from the other birds so that they can't pick at the wounds. Could he stay indoors, in the crate? He'll miss his buddies but it's for his own safety. Perhaps a friend can come inside occasionally to say hi through the bars/supervised?

What kind of ointment are you applying? Triple antibiotic (without pain relief) would be great.

I'll @Miss Lydia as the amount of advice I can give here is limited, and she is very knowledgeable.
Wishing you well with your drake @Wallarobba Ali

Did the vet think it was a good idea to wrap? It might just be best to leave it unwrapped and keep him inside away from the flies you def don't want maggots in that wound. Such a pretty drake. Ducks are amazing on how well they can heal from some really bad wounds so hopefully your little one will do fine with your care. Did the vet put him on an antibiotic?

Thanks for advice. He’s in a crate in our bathroom, so we will keep him here until he’s healed up enough to keep the flies off. We have him on antibiotic creams and antiseptic sprays. I’ve given him some tramadol for the pain.
I thought he might be fretting for his ladies. One of the girls got minor grazes and we had her with him for 36 hours.
He’s a bit for feisty this morning so I think that he’s feeling better.
And boy, does my bathroom stink- and for once it’s not my husband!

Back
Top Bottom