Injured eye, 10 month old Easter Egger

nsanfro

Chirping
May 24, 2020
Gilbert AZ
Hi all, wanted to ask for your advice. This morning I noticed one of my girls was just standing in the same spot while the other girls were headed out the chunnel. This was unusual behavior for her, then I saw that her right eye was closed. I picked her up to examine it a bit closer, got warm water and gently washed the area. I separated her from the others just in case. I went to buy some Vetericyn Plus antimicrobial opthalmic gel, (good idea to put in a 1st aid kit - I'm learning...).
Cleaned her eye a 2nd time, this time feathers were stuck to her eyelid and it was a bit crusty. After cleaning I put the opthalmic gel in her eye and another bit on the outside of the lid. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Attachments

• 20210321_165516.jpg
    20210321_165516.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210321_165615.jpg
    20210321_165615.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 5
When an eye swells like that, it's probably infected. Washing with saline solution is far better than plain water, and you need to continue to flush the eye once a day.

In addition, an antibiotic ointment should be used twice a day. The Vetericyn eye gel, which I've used and am not impressed with, won't kill bacteria, just soothes the eye.

When an eye swells like that, it's probably infected. Washing with saline solution is far better than plain water, and you need to continue to flush the eye once a day.

In addition, an antibiotic ointment should be used twice a day. The Vetericyn eye gel, which I've used and am not impressed with, won't kill bacteria, just soothes the eye.
x2 on @azygous's post...I keep both Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel and Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment on hand, and for serious issues, Terramycin is my go to. The Vetericyn is, IMO, better for a watery eye rather than an injury.

Best wishes for your hen's recovery!

I don't think she has eaten, at least it doesn't look like she has, soldier fly larvae are still where I left them - it's been two full days so she must be drinking right? Her poop is greenish with some yellow and very little.
Also, I don't think she has ever laid an egg.
Does this look like a healthy egg laying vent? (She's laying on her back in this pic)

Attachments

• 20210321_170032.jpg
    20210321_170032.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 4
Did anyone end up helping you? The vent looks fine for a bird who's not laying. Not sure of her age, but she may stop laying when ill. However, not eating is really bad.

Also, I generally try not to lay birds on their backs since their lungs are there and it can make it hard for them to breathe, but that's just an aside! The fact that you could lay her on her back indicates she may have really been feeling badly.

Yes, I did receive a couple of replies. Poor baby, I think she's permanently blinded in that eye as it hasn't responded to treatment.
Thank you for your comment about the vent. (I only had her on her back for a few seconds to take the pic.)
I found a very strange egg about a week after my post. It was small with a green film on the outside of it that you could rub off. I wasn't going to eat it or cook it and give it to the girls because the yolk and white were very thin and mixed like they had already been scrambled. The following day I received 2 blue eggs (I have 2 EE girls) So I am assuming the weird green-film covered egg was her first.

Attachments

• 20210405_074651.jpg
    20210405_074651.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210405_074134.jpg
    20210405_074134.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210405_074335.jpg
    20210405_074335.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Poor thing. Does she seem to be acting normal otherwise, like eating and drinking and socializing?

That egg is wild. It's like the bloom was so thick it came off in an actual layer. I've never seen this, but I'm sure someone has. Has she laid since?

Yes every couple of days I get a normal slightly bigger egg than this little one.
She has been eating drinking normally and can get to the roost without any issues. The others still peck at her for no reason - bratty little bitties!

I don’t know if it’s an eye injury if she’s having troubles with eggs and laying. This could be Infectious Bronchitis (IB) which affects the eyes, sinus, overall respiratory tract as well as attacking the reproductive tract.

Back
Top Bottom