Injured Hen. Possibly be from rooster. What to do?

19Chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
In my coop, I noticed a good amount of blood the other day. I did a chicken count, all here. So then I searched for who is injured. I am pretty sure it is one of my black-sex link hens. She is my roosters favorite, which leads me to believe that he could of done it.
I have a picture of the blood, ignore the feces. It was where they sleep.

And this is the hen's injury. I didn't think it was bad enough to make that much blood, but the injury does extend under her wings.

Please help! We would like to clean her wound but don't know what to use. What do you recommend? Give her a bath or just wipe it down with something?
Thanks!

make a saline solution of warm water and salt. if you have a good squeeze or squirt bottle that is safe to use (maybe even make one with a baggie or balloon and a small hole in it so it squirts real good.... use that to flush the wound real good. Even when you think you've got it good, flush it some more. :) then pack the wound good with neosporin or similar antibiotic ointment. Better not to bandage, or stitch. Keep an eye on wound and flush again tomorrow and repack with ointment. As long as you keep puss and infection away she should heal fine. :)

Keep the rooster away from her. And preferably all the girls till you get his spurs trimmed good. I use dog clippers and blood stop powder. I just go alittle at a time, sometimes you have to kinda shave off the sides of the spurs with the clippers till you get it small enough to snip the tip. Then make sure it is rounded and not sharp edges. I can do this easily with the rooster laying on my lap, or under my arm like a football. I usually stop when I see the first tiny bit of blood forming. I have heard sugar also works good to stop any bleeding. I would apply some pressure to the tip with sugar or bloodstop powder.

First I would separate the rooster from the flock until she is healed. Apply antibiotic ointment to the lesion (Non pain relief) and remove any debris. Trim the rooster's toenails and spurs. Once she is healed you may need to fit her with a hen saddle to protect her. How many hens do you have for your rooster?

I have 17 hens for one rooster. She is his "favorite" I guess you could say.

Also, we have never trimmed a roosters nails before. Anything I should worry about? Not to mention, he is a Brahma. So his feathers are on his feet. That probably makes it harder...
sad.png

That's plenty of hens for sure. She is very evidently the favorite - not necessarily a good thing in chicken society.

The problem is, we don't know where to put the rooster for a time out. We don't let them free range, we just built them a large coop run. The last thing we want to do is leave him outside in a crate where our outdoor cats or raccoons could get to him (we aren't sure if they would go after chickens, but they have killed birds in the past). Could we bring him inside? Use a large dog crate and leave him in there for a while? I told my mother to schedule a vet appt to get the roosters spurs trimmed and we will do that Monday. My dad is going to build a separate, smaller coop when it gets warmer.

Back
Top Bottom