Injured Hen-Possibly in Shock?

Samanth

Chirping
9 Years
May 8, 2013
A raccoon entered my coop 3 days ago killing two hens and injuring another. I have isolated the injured hen to warm dim room. I believe she has a broken wing which I am going to wrap but she is laying on one side (the side with the broken wing) and will not move from that position. She can move her legs but when I try to stand her up she falls back or to her side. I have scattered crumble feed around her head and she does eat and will drink if it's within reach. Her eyes are open and she is alert, moving her neck around. I am just not sure what is wrong with her other then the wing. I know she needs time to heal but I am really concerned about her not moving. Is it just shock or could she be paralyzed? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Since it happened 3 days ago, I don't believe it would be shock. It sounds like she may be injured worse than you think. Is it possible to take her to a vet?

It is possible, I was just hoping to avoid it since she doesn't have any open wounds and seems so alert. She is eating and pooping normally ( i have to assist with the clean up since she is staying in one spot). When I move her she flaps a little but just wants to lay on her one side.

If I were to take her to the vet, what would be the procedure? Surgery? X-rays?

Back
Top Bottom