INJURED HEN

Valcoco

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2023
Hi,
One of my hen was attacked by the neighbours dog and the wound is pretty deep. I'm currently putting raw unpasteurized honey on it then I put a gauze pad then & tape it up. What I was wondering is should I leave the wound out during the day & only tape it up at night time? Or is there anything I can do to make it heal faster?? I need your help!!
20230725_122725.jpg

How long ago did this happen?
It'd be best to keep her inside to avoid flies, which can cause fly strike on open wounds, and so none of her flock mates start pecking at it.
Also, it would be best to leave it unwrapped, she'll do just fine without any wrapping.

How long ago did this happen?
It'd be best to keep her inside to avoid flies, which can cause fly strike on open wounds, and so none of her flock mates start pecking at it.
Also, it would be best to leave it unwrapped, she'll do just fine without any wrapping.
This happened on Monday!! I usually keep her inside a fence without the other chickens.. it's way too hot outside to keep her in the coop.I don't have a space to isolate her at night so i wrap her up to prevent the pecking but during the day it is unwrapped!

This happened on Monday!! I usually keep her inside a fence without the other chickens.. it's way too hot outside to keep her in the coop.I don't have a space to isolate her at night so i wrap her up to prevent the pecking but during the day it is unwrapped!
Ah, I see. Okay!

Well, I say just keep doing what you're doing and she'll be fine!
Could be good to apply some plain neosporin to it instead, its less messy and not sticky like honey is.

Back
Top Bottom