Injured hock, leg buckles out when rooster walks

BeepersNChickChick

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2017
I have a broiler rooster that is indoors. He recently was walking funny and his hock joint was wobbly. I assume he injured it jumping down from furniture. I did limit his movement and gave him some carprofen to help with the pain and any swelling. I’m unable to get to my vet since my only chicken vet in the area is on vacation for 2 weeks. I wanted to get any advice on what else I can do to help since I tried to splint and his leg but it still buckled out when he walked and he was injuring his leg more trying to get it off. I wrapped it tighter and his leg turned purple from lack of circulation. I noticed it is less swollen but tender to touch and red skin. He is able to walk and is doing normal activity. So, I don’t think it’s broken or a slipped tendon. Maybe a sprain? Any advice?

You can try putting him in a sling if he will tolerate it. I'm not good with links but there are instructions on here how to do it. Takes the weight off until you get to the vet. Good luck.

I would leave the splint off. They can sometimes cause more problems. Are you planning to butcher him, or is he for breeding or a pet? They can sometimes injure a tendon or ligament, and some birds may have leg bone varus or valgus deformities in one or both legs that hinder walking. If you notice a bowed out or knock kneed leg or one turned differently, that could be a leg bone deformity. Many times resting the legs and preventing jumping off roosts for a week or two may help. Do you see any green bruising on the leg?

I would leave the splint off. They can sometimes cause more problems. Are you planning to butcher him, or is he for breeding or a pet? They can sometimes injure a tendon or ligament, and some birds may have leg bone varus or valgus deformities in one or both legs that hinder walking. If you notice a bowed out or knock kneed leg or one turned differently, that could be a leg bone deformity. Many times resting the legs and preventing jumping off roosts for a week or two may help. Do you see any green bruising on the leg?
He is a pet I’ve had since he hatched. I think it’s a sprain or recent injury since he had no issues prior to wobble. I do notice it’s red around hock area on the leg with injury. No green coloring. He can walk, jump, and even run if allowed but I’ve been quarantining him to limit movement.

I have a broiler rooster that is indoors. He recently was walking funny and his hock joint was wobbly. I assume he injured it jumping down from furniture. I did limit his movement and gave him some carprofen to help with the pain and any swelling. I’m unable to get to my vet since my only chicken vet in the area is on vacation for 2 weeks. I wanted to get any advice on what else I can do to help since I tried to splint and his leg but it still buckled out when he walked and he was injuring his leg more trying to get it off. I wrapped it tighter and his leg turned purple from lack of circulation. I noticed it is less swollen but tender to touch and red skin. He is able to walk and is doing normal activity. So, I don’t think it’s broken or a slipped tendon. Maybe a sprain? Any advice?

If it were a sprain, it would likely be more painful. His limp would be far more pronounced.

I suspect a fracture. They happen. Skip the splint and do a full on cast.

It's pretty easy. Roll him in a towel. Lightly wrap the leg in Gauze and cotton. Then wrap it in multiple layers of pet wrap. It's hard, thick and light.

He still needs to be limited in movement for at least a week. I recently discovered that chickens don't like pecking the aluminum tape used in A/C repair and have used it successfully to stop them from removing bumblefoot bandages.

If it is red around the joint, it sounds more like a sprain. If you decide to splint, which I would not do, be sure to check circulation often. So many people apply splints, and they can shift or the tissue swells, and then a couple of days later the foot is blue. They can lose a foot or leg if that happens. A vet could xray and rule out a fracture. But do limit activity for awhile.

Well, I made a sling for him so he’s not putting pressure on the joint. I made it higher since he’s strong enough to push out and flip himself if his feet touch the ground. I don’t want to keep him in here long term but enough to give rest since he refuses to lay down….rooster always on guard! I take him out to eat or when I’m not home but limit him to small area.
IMG_3395.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom