Injured pullet from hen, what do I put on the wound?

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
This morning I found a chunk of feathers with skin attached on the coop floor. Looked around and saw my 6 week old cream legbar with a chunk missing from her neck. Im sure it was one of my hens. They have a safe place to run to in the coop but she must have gotten cornered. They have plenty of room. It’s a barn we converted to a coop and the babies have the back area walled off with the little portals. What can I put on her? Or should I just keep her separated til it heals?

Attachments

• 602C4C68-AF59-49D7-B184-356F7F817A0C.jpeg
    602C4C68-AF59-49D7-B184-356F7F817A0C.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 11
  • BDC639D9-B691-41EB-8219-6D7F1954DA45.jpeg
    BDC639D9-B691-41EB-8219-6D7F1954DA45.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 2
I've used Vetericyn and good ole human neosporin. If you can't put Vet wrap over a wound then yes, separate as the color will draw alot of unwanted attention and make the situation way worse. Especially since this is hens on a chick even if I can cover the wound with vet wrap I'd separate and keep the chick safe until it heals up a bit. I love Cream Legbars, they're so sweet. Good luck!

I've used Vetericyn and good ole human neosporin. If you can't put Vet wrap over a wound then yes, separate as the color will draw alot of unwanted attention and make the situation way worse. Especially since this is hens on a chick even if I can cover the wound with vet wrap I'd separate and keep the chick safe until it heals up a bit. I love Cream Legbars, they're so sweet. Good luck!
Do you think it’s ok to keep her with one of the other babies so she’s not alone?

Do you think it’s ok to keep her with one of the other babies so she’s not alone?
Good question. I would try it but definitely watch to see if pecking is going to happen. It's just going to take longer to heal if the wound becomes worse. If her feathers are covering it enough it could be fine but I can't tell from the pic. You know that "red" is just a super chicken trigger for pecking so that's the concern.

If you have a doggy crate, you can keep her with the flock without her being picked on further.
I don’t have a crate. I have her with another chick who was acting very nervous this morning in a tote with food and water. I can keep her away from the hens and with the other chicks but I’m afraid the chicks will peck at her because it’s red.

I don’t have a crate. I have her with another chick who was acting very nervous this morning in a tote with food and water. I can keep her away from the hens and with the other chicks but I’m afraid the chicks will peck at her because it’s red.
You can use food dye to color the area blue, if you're concerned about pecking.

Good question. I would try it but definitely watch to see if pecking is going to happen. It's just going to take longer to heal if the wound becomes worse. If her feathers are covering it enough it could be fine but I can't tell from the pic. You know that "red" is just a super chicken trigger for pecking so that's the concern.
I decided to isolate her for now til I can figure out how to cover it. It’s very obvious and her feathers don’t cover it.

Back
Top Bottom