injured quail

quailss

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Yesterday I found a hole in my pen which was made by one of my neighbors cat as it stares at the quails almost every morning . Two coturnix quails went missing but my neighbor found one of it. I think it has been bitten by the cat near the tail area and that large area is now bald and I think the wound was very deep. It was bleeding when my neighbor gave it back to me.I then cleaned and treated the wound. Today the quail is moving more but is still moving very little then yesterday but still looks very weak but is eating a little but very slowly. Do you think it can survive?

Its a possibility...bird bones are delicate...and cat bites are chock full of bacteria...I would get the bird on an oral (or injectable) antibiotic.

81617_cat-in-crosshairs01.jpg

Time for Kitty to take a dirt nap............
somad.gif

So sorry you are having to go through this!

Can you tell if the injury is tissue only or are there broken bones involved? The difference would likely be the factor determining slow healing vs. quality of life issues.

It is true that cats' mouths are chock full of some nasty bacteria. Any cat bites I've treated on mammals or people did involve massive, strong antibiotics. Don't know enough to advise which/dosage for quail.

(Maybe time for neighbor to pay for an avian vet bill?)

Last edited:
Time for Kitty to take a dirt nap............

(Maybe time for neighbor to pay for an avian vet bill?)

X2 ON BOTH OF THESE... AS WELL IT POINTS OUT WEAKNESSES IN YOUR PEN... SO THERE IS AN UP SIDE.​

Back
Top Bottom