Injured Rooster

If you’re able, seeing as he’s confined right now completely while he recovers, a balanced chicken feed is really the best way to go... I can pickup a 50# bag for $17 here.

Considering the antibiotics and pain meds you've invested already (even if they were leftover from another animal) and all the time and care you’re putting into him, feral or not, you may want to pick up a bag for him. The closest thing we have to TSC here also has bulk chicken feeds, so you could buy a smaller amount.

If you’re able, seeing as he’s confined right now completely while he recovers, a balanced chicken feed is really the best way to go... I can pickup a 50# bag for $17 here.

Considering the antibiotics and pain meds you've invested already (even if they were leftover from another animal) and all the time and care you’re putting into him, feral or not, you may want to pick up a bag for him. The closest thing we have to TSC here also has bulk chicken feeds, so you could buy a smaller amount.

>> Unfortunately because he can’t control his neck. He can not eat unassisted. Certainly he would not survive on his own. The fact that I have previously purchased medication and vitamins for humans and pets, does not imply I can afford what is closer to $30 at out local feed store. However I am going to check on Amazon for a full spectrum chicken feed. I wonder if there is a special chicken feed for recovering chickens. Like how you can buy special food for ill or recovering cats and dogs. If you have any suggestions of a good brand, I would appreciate that as I have zero knowledge of chicken feed and have noticed a huge variety, one saying they have something over the other that makes it the best choice. Haha. But, since I’m feeding him by syringe, maybe I should get the type of feed for chicks that is like baby grain cereal? Ok. Thanks for your advice.

You can go to your local Tractor Supply and get a decent Dumor feed for $12, and for $17, you can buy Purina Flock Raiser, a good all round ration for all ages. I made the mistake of giving our 2 outcast yard chickens some dry cat food when they came begging, and now they drive us crazy. Cat food has way too much protein that chicken feed, and may lead to kidney or gout issues.

This is what I was feeding In crumbles. For nutritional comparison, as I know you're in the USA and almost as far away as if I was in Alaska! Mixed with water it makes a lovely gruel/porridge for them... current exchange rate puts it’s about $12.50 USD for 50#... way cheaper than any cat kibbles I've seen. (I’ve got three geriatric cats and the farm has 6 barn cats on kibble only) Get a basic feed... don’t worry about marketing or nutritional claims. It will still be better for him than the cat food.
E5889A17-C2DD-49E8-9E1E-BF435D6C0252.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom