Injured rooster

chickenmama82

Chirping
Oct 4, 2015
ruckersville va
I woke up this morning to my rooster pretty banged up but only on his head and comb. His eyes are shut from the shock I presume. I have given him water and electrolytes and cared for the wounds what would do damage like this only to his head area??
He is in a coop and run and only with 2 hens, no other roosters or other birds.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20190620_121832.jpg
    20190620_121832.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190620_112907.jpg
    20190620_112907.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190620_112901.jpg
    20190620_112901.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190620_112426.jpg
    20190620_112426.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 22
Unfortunately, these things do happen. More than likely it was one of your hens. I have several roosters and only 2 that don't get along. When they fight, one of them and even sometimes both of them walk out looking like this. He was probably pestering one of your girls at the wrong time and she let him know. Try to keep it clean, as best as you can and isolate him so he doesn't get picked on even more. He should heal quickly and I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time. ☺️

Is your coop locked up at night and predator-proof? Could he have been hurt out in the run if a raccoon reached through the fencing? Is he new to those hens?

No they have been together for 2 years.
The coop was reinforced after this and all coops have gone on nightly lock down. I have dogs and cats never had issues with rodents, there are new neighborhood strays....never had anything like this. I've had chickens here since we bought the place 4 years ago but nothing ever like this. He was attacked inside his house( door not shut overnight) feathers and blood everywhere.
Unfortunately lesson learned
He is on day 3, not looking better. Only takes small amounts of water i bring to him. Electrolytes, and vet spray for wounds, also neosporin.

Have you checked his eyes to make sure they are not injured? If they are dried shut you can use warm wet compresses to get them open. Flush them out with sterile saline or eye wash (veterycin makes one) to make sure there is no debris in there and check for injury. You can use the plain neosporin in the eyes twice a day if necessary if they are injured.

I would hold a small scoop or cup up to his beak to drink or use a dropper and put a few drops to his beak often. Mixing a small bowl of very wet chicken feed and a little cooked egg might be taken well. That is a good way to get fluids into them. But you will need to hold it up to his beak until he can see better.

Ive been holding food and water to beak the only thing he will take is water....
I have wiped his eyes with a warm rag but he still refuses to open them he tried to bite me while trying to check them out, he has a scratch under one

Have you checked him really well underneath all his feathers for more wounds or bruising?

I would try a little sugar water or electrolytes. Do what you can to get some fluids into him.

I have checked him all over even soaked him in a bath he has no other injuries on his body he is still the same no better still forcing electrolytes and water he is making this grinding noise with his beak that is making a film on the outside.... still treating the wounds nothing is looking better..... i just hope he is not suffering

I have checked him all over even soaked him in a bath he has no other injuries on his body he is still the same no better still forcing electrolytes and water he is making this grinding noise with his beak that is making a film on the outside.... still treating the wounds nothing is looking better..... i just hope he is not suffering
Is he pooping at all?
Opening his eyes?
Explain the grinding making a film on the outside of his beak? Have you looked inside the beak?
Crop empty/flat?

Back
Top Bottom